Door Latch not dropping back down.

gtrshopJuly 8, 2013

This is probably a very simple thing to fix. The simplicity is what I'm totally missing.

(not so )Short preamble story...

At the girlfriends house, she has a 3 season screened room that has a screen door (wooden cottage type) that is used to let the dogs out. This weekend I installed a door closer, since the kids can't remember to do that. The closer works fine, but we added a gate type latch (Almost exactly like this one www.outdoorcraftsmansupply.com/images/products/detail/N184853.jpg). I installed a short wire through the wall to lift the latch from the inside. And for the most part this works ok but it's finicky. The latching part is supposed to drop and catch the portion that's connected to the door to hold it closed, but often it's not falling. I am not sure what else to do to cause it to do so, it's as if it doesn't have enough weight to fall forward. The wire I used is a piece of light coat hanger wire, and there is no resistance through the hole in the wall (surprisingly). In theory it should all work great, but it doesn't. The thought was at first to use a string instead of wire, but the string and a washer on the end would probably weigh more that the piece of coat hanger wire.

I think I am over-thinking this. Everything moved freely. How to add more weight to the latching hook is where I am? The latch was only $4.00 so Maybe I need a different, better one?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sdello

I suspect your "door closer" is not pulling the door in far enough or fast enough. The back part of the latch mechanism is pushed by the bar mounted to the door and forces the latch over the bar to catch it. (The same way when you pull the latch to open it the mechanism "pushes" the bar out of the latch.) By design it does not work on gravity alone.

Also hit it with some light weight lubricating oil inc ase there is friction in the latch.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 9:16AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snoonyb

Go back to the string and washer, use nylon or another synthetic, make sure the hole is smooth. If you are concerned about the weight, add a couple washers at the latch end.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 10:59AM
More Discussions
What type of wall is this and how do I fix it?
The bottom part of my closet interior wall is crumbling,...
sippy_spence
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
Fixing Spanish Plaster and plaster interior walls (1933 house)
We live in a 1933 Lannon stone home (Lannon stone is...
rachelep
Ice damming !! Desperate for advice 911!!!
WE have severe ice damming on the roof of our home...
coffeemama1
Help with rough, ugly laminate counter edges
Hello, we recently put in new laminate countertops...
Elizabeth Loparco
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™