Bathroom exhaust fan

chuckbyJuly 17, 2009

I have a bathroom exhaust fan, in the ceiling, that exhausts up into the actic. Should I leave it like this or should I get some ductwork and have it exhaust up toward one of the roof vents and hook it some how so it could vent out. The roof vent opening is to big so I would have to just hang it from the roof vent and let it vent that way? Thank you in advance for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ventupete

You should run a duct to the roof vent. This is because of the humidity that would typically be vented by a bathroom exhaust fan. That humidity can cause damage and mold. It's okay to run it to the vent without an airtight fitting.

Bookmark   July 17, 2009 at 10:33AM
manhattan42

Bath vents are required to be run directly to the exterior of the building (roof or walls) and terminate in a hood with a backdraft damper.

Running it to the roof vent is not an accepted practice.

Bookmark   July 18, 2009 at 8:35AM
drywall_diy_guy

Personally, I vent mine straight up out the roof and the vent pipe is coated with expanding foam insulation. I want that moisture as far away as possible. I live in a cold climate where that moist air will quickly condense when it hits the cold.

I am just finishing a big bathroom project to fix a situation where the previous owner did not secure the vent hose and my attic got all kinds of moisture and mold. It is a miserable project!

Bookmark   July 20, 2009 at 9:12PM
More Discussions
Leaning picket fence
I recently purchased my house and for whatever reason,...
media529
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
blakekr
Hubby and I disagree on who to call for cracks
So we keep arguing for like 5 years now (husband and...
dahoov2
Would patio foundation cracks affect the house foundation?
Hi i have a question and i hope that you can answer...
john2525
Curtain Rods
Hi, I am not sure where to post this so my apologies...
newquilter
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™