Anyone else make Dishcloths?

grittymittsSeptember 9, 2007

Frugal by nature, I'm wondering if anyone else makes their own dishcloths?

A couple of friends dropped by recently & acted shocked that I was taking time to make dishcloths/dishrags from old tea towels and fabric scraps. I "chanille" cotton" from fabric scraps & make them all in a size that better fits my rather small hands. Not only do I like them better and get another year or more of use, my money stays with me rather than handing it to stores who have much more of it than me!

I just can't see tossing terry cloth ones 'cause they've gotten thin in spots...

When worn out all cotton products go into compost pile.

Suzi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
quiltglo

Some people prefer to make them from strips of cotton knit T-shirts. That way you don't have to deal with a bunch of strings like with woven fabric.

Knitting and crochet has become so popular again, that there are loads of posts on making them on Craftster.org. Covers for swiffers are popular too.

Gloria

Bookmark   September 10, 2007 at 4:56PM
hotshott

How do you "chanille" cotton"???
I make dish clothes/pot holders/hotplates out of Sugar and Cream yarn. It's 100% cotton yarn. I would love to know an alternative.
I crochet them. Knitting just takes too much time for me. I am gathering an inventory so I can participate in craft fairs.
-Monica
HOTSHOTT@Adelphia.net

Bookmark   September 11, 2007 at 4:26PM
arizonarose

I don't know how to knit, but can crochet a little. Can anyone post a pattern for dish cloths? Something simple please :-)

Bookmark   September 12, 2007 at 8:21AM
arizonarose

I found some patterns online..there are all different shapes like hearts and circle shapes. The square is the easiest for me....

Bookmark   September 13, 2007 at 5:45PM
Jonesy

I used dishcloths for years, if you forgot to hang them up they soured and after they get stained and gray in color, they look nasty. I scrimp on a lot of things, but not dishcloths. I buy the packaged ones, can't remember the name...... they last for years and don't sour if you forget to hang it up. Easy wipes, I think, they are very thin with a zig zag pattern in the fabric. I get a clean one every morning.

Bookmark   September 14, 2007 at 10:10PM
gertie2u2

My grandma crochets dish cloths, I don't know what the yarn is that she uses except to say it comes on good-sized cones, and it is more durable and appears to have more umph than the yarn normally sold in stores. It is not normally found in your big box stores, but rather in specialty craft and sewing centers. I should not be surprised if it is the cotton yarn you speak of. I have found them to last MUCH longer, and they are better than any "safe for all surfaces" scrubbing sponge or what-have-you I have ever purchased. They will scrub baked on food off with no trouble, partly owing to the way they are made, and have never scratched even the most delicate surface I have applied them to. They stand up well to washing in bleach, so I always have a clean one handy and no worries about germs.

I don't know how to chanille fabric but suspect you might google for instructions possibly.

Bookmark   September 18, 2007 at 2:46AM
junkyardgirl

I knit my own from cotton yarn. When they get dingy, I just toss them into some dishwater with a little bleach in it.

By the time I finish washing the dishes, they're clean.

Bookmark   September 24, 2007 at 8:11PM
vegangirl

DH's aunt gave me some dishclothes she had knitted from cotton yarn. They quickly became my favorites!!

Bookmark   October 1, 2007 at 1:35PM
wantoretire_did

Arizonarose - I make mine with the cotton Sugar and Cream or Peaches and Cream in a square using single or double crochet and a "G" hook. If you want to get more creative, here's a great site for free patterns.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crochet dishcloth patterns

Bookmark   October 9, 2007 at 5:58AM
junkyardgirl

I knit mine, and I've knitted them as Christmas gifts for many years. My family looks forward to getting them, because they are sort of "scrubby" too, so they get stuck on stuff off of plates. I use cotton yarn, sometimes to match their decor, but mostly white, so they can be bleached.

Bookmark   November 18, 2007 at 9:25PM
minnie_tx

I crocheted a lot of them but my family didn't know what they were for lol They were fun and fast to do

Bookmark   November 19, 2007 at 12:08AM
More Discussions
Cable alternatives
We are moving to a place where we are unable to get...
mrsgym
Barcode on the envelope?
I used a envelope which has barcode on it to send a...
kuangmao
Best Money Saving Advice
What do you do that saves a lot of $$$? I know many...
callie25
Saving money when using an air condiioner or dehumidifier
This will actually save you money only if you pay for...
joyfulguy
Harvest forum
There is a forum in the garden web called harvest that...
sewcrazynurse
Sponsored Products
Mini Laptop Stand
$39.50 | FRONTGATE
32 x 32 Stone shower base Mongolia black basalt - CORAL BLACK
Living'ROC
United Pet Group Cat FurGoPet Deshedder Tool - 0860-5214
$34.99 | Hayneedle
Kaddur Kids Chair in White
$600.00 | LexMod
Wilton Aluminum Disney Princess Ariel Cake Pan - 2105-4355
$14.99 | Hayneedle