Removing Linoleum Flooring - staples??

DIY_BrandyJuly 24, 2012

Hello Everyone,

Part of the subfloor in my bathroom became water logged when a certain daughter of mine decided to take a nice long shower with the door open. I pulled up the linoleum which was terrible and needed to go anyways only to find another layer of linoleum (and a patched piece of subfloor - this must have happened before!). The problem is, this linoleum has staples all over it. Does anyone know why this would be? I am guessing they did it when they put in the newer layer of linoleum? Was it to keep the floor from squeaking? I only want to replace the part of the subfloor that has damage, should I pull out all the staples and start fresh? I am putting in temporary linoleum tiles until my brother can come tile the bathroom for me. Would love to hear any suggestions you have. I am a DIY'er by nature but have never taken on something like this before.

Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

Who knows why the staples are there but your guess may be correct. Getting them out will NOT be easy. Give your daughter a flat pry bar and a pair of pliers and let her have at it. ;-) Depending on the age of your house, that old flooring and/or it's adhesive may contain asbestos.

How far out is your brother's tile work? You may want to have him take a look at things. He will have to do something with the old floor to lay his tile, so why do things twice?

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 10:05AM
brickeyee

It is not uncommon to use staples to attach a new layer of underlayment, especially if the material is thin.

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 11:45AM
Jumpilotmdm

Is the daughter helping with the repair? She should be. She might learn something.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 6:02PM
More Discussions
Ice damming !! Desperate for advice 911!!!
WE have severe ice damming on the roof of our home...
coffeemama1
foul intermittent smell somewhere?????
So here's our problem. We have lived in our house for...
curtzilla
Insulating an inaccessible crawl space?
My 1940s bungalow style house sits on a crawl space...
blessedbe
Crawlspace floods with water, but it doesnt touch the wood, ok?
I have a crawlspace that is about 2 ft from the ground....
tlbean2004
concrete over concrete?
I have filled the space under my front door threshold...
robinasq
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™