Vapor barrier 'Encapsulation'

geeshJuly 28, 2011

Currently have thick black plastic on the entire floor of my crawlspace BUT it is not sealed so the mildew smell is still pretty nasty.

I am considering professional Encapsulation of the Crawl Space to eliminate the stinky crawlspace. Will "Encapsulation" alone solve the smell problem or MOST of it or do I also need a big dehumidfier and close & seal all vents..

Is this expensive ? The home is about 1900 sq ft.

Thanks for your ideas..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ionized_gw

More information is needed. Where do you live? (What is the climate like?) What do you mean by "encapsulation".

Bookmark   July 28, 2011 at 3:13PM
renovator8

Fungus grows where there is food (wood), moisture (ground), and a lack of light and ventilation. If you seal the space you will have to stop the moisture from rising up from the ground or you will have to mechanically dehumidify the space, or possibly both.

Bookmark   July 29, 2011 at 1:41PM
geesh

More info:
Missouri/Arkansas border- Table Rock Lake. 90s & humid in the summer..December temps are teens to 20 , but only 43 in my closed up crawlspace.

Bookmark   July 30, 2011 at 12:31AM
ionized_gw

Open crawlspaces in hot humid climates might have been a good idea before air conditioning, but with the addition of AC, you can get condensation because the temp of the floor is below the dew point. Where I live, on the Gulf Coast, sealing the crawl space is recommended. Your only alternative is to spray foam insulate the floor. There are two places that you might start to gather information to help you decide. Try your agricultural school and http://www.buildingscience.com/index_html

Bookmark   July 30, 2011 at 1:20PM
brickeyee

You can try sealing seams in the plastic, and then sealing to tot eh foundation.

Fastening to the foundation usually the harder part.

I have used various 'plastic' boards (including ones designed for decks) fastened to the inside of the foundation with siliconized latex caulk behind the boards to seal there.

The plastic is then sealed to the face of the board.
If you use deck width boards you can usually rip them at least in half, and sometimes narrower if you then treat them gently.

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 11:32AM
More Discussions
Roof repair -- fair price?
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here and...
vashts85
damp/ruined dry wall in window corners
I need help with a plan or how to for fixing and repairing...
betty_joanne
Siding advice for chimney
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice. Yesterday...
andreadeg
Jacking house up
Ok the first time I posted in wrong place. I'm going...
music9704
What type of wall is this and how do I fix it?
The bottom part of my closet interior wall is crumbling,...
sippy_spence
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™