Phonics

trekarenAugust 12, 2002

Anyone here hear of the "Happily Ever After" program to learn phonics?

Anyone have any feedback regarding phonics in general, as a curriculum for teaching reading, as opposed to other reading curriculums?

(kindergarten level)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sheilajoyce_gw

Everyone seems to love the Open Court series, especially the older, experienced teachers.

Bookmark   August 14, 2002 at 1:17AM
trekaren

I'm less nervous than I was. When I heard 'phonics', I thought of the way they taught reading to some children when I was in school years ago. But apparently, this is now called the "Whole Language" method. The thinking now is that Whole Language leads to average readers and terrible spellers. So I think I have found all the info I need to understand what they will be teaching here at the new school.

Bookmark   August 14, 2002 at 8:02AM
Momma_Bird_OH

TREKaren,

Is this a phonics package, or a cirriculum? If it's a package, like Hooked on Phonics or The Phonics Game, you could probably check it out from your local library. I got both of the ones I mentioned from my library, and WAS NOT impressed. They were too complicated and my kids thought they were boring.

My oldest son had a TERRIBLE time learning to read. I took him to a reading tutor who used the Reading Reflex/Auto-Graphics method and it really "clicked". This method is how we were taught to read in the 60s before "phonics" was the hot method. I can't remember the URL but if you do a search for Reading Reflex you'll find their website.

Good luck!

Bookmark   August 14, 2002 at 9:47AM
sheilajoyce_gw

Whole language is not researched based. Alone, it is not enough.

Bookmark   August 16, 2002 at 9:47PM
More Discussions
Open House - 'No Show' teachers
I went to my son's high school open house this week,...
whazzup
Becoming a Horticulturist ?
Hi. I love the outdoors and it is time for me to go...
mrbladedude
The Government Lies
All we hear is how bad America's Education is compared...
skipper1960
Son Waiting a Year Before Going to College
This seems to be a safe place to express my disappointment....
sameboat
College
Scholarships or grants..Do any of you know where to...
donnakt_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™