Phonics

trekarenAugust 12, 2002

Anyone here hear of the "Happily Ever After" program to learn phonics?

Anyone have any feedback regarding phonics in general, as a curriculum for teaching reading, as opposed to other reading curriculums?

(kindergarten level)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sheilajoyce_gw

Everyone seems to love the Open Court series, especially the older, experienced teachers.

Bookmark   August 14, 2002 at 1:17AM
trekaren

I'm less nervous than I was. When I heard 'phonics', I thought of the way they taught reading to some children when I was in school years ago. But apparently, this is now called the "Whole Language" method. The thinking now is that Whole Language leads to average readers and terrible spellers. So I think I have found all the info I need to understand what they will be teaching here at the new school.

Bookmark   August 14, 2002 at 8:02AM
Momma_Bird_OH

TREKaren,

Is this a phonics package, or a cirriculum? If it's a package, like Hooked on Phonics or The Phonics Game, you could probably check it out from your local library. I got both of the ones I mentioned from my library, and WAS NOT impressed. They were too complicated and my kids thought they were boring.

My oldest son had a TERRIBLE time learning to read. I took him to a reading tutor who used the Reading Reflex/Auto-Graphics method and it really "clicked". This method is how we were taught to read in the 60s before "phonics" was the hot method. I can't remember the URL but if you do a search for Reading Reflex you'll find their website.

Good luck!

Bookmark   August 14, 2002 at 9:47AM
sheilajoyce_gw

Whole language is not researched based. Alone, it is not enough.

Bookmark   August 16, 2002 at 9:47PM
More Discussions
Block A University Sweater
Does anyone know what school or university this represents?...
subrosa
Beestar is cool!
So happy to share with you guys! We used to use Kumon....
yvonnemommy
Troubling Preschool Teacher
Hello, My 4 year old goes to a preschool. She was sent...
bnew
School suggestions -Frisco, Texas
Hello everyone, I am writing from Iowa and moving to...
Devi.S
Single sex classes- your opinion
Do you think single sex classes improve students grades.....
lil_lillian
Sponsored Products
Ali Phonics Multi-Flex Futon Frame in Antique White Wood (Mattress not included)
Overstock.com
Ali Phonics Multi-Flex Honey Oak Wood Futon Frame with Innerspring Suede Mattres
Overstock.com
Ali Phonics Honey Oak Multi-Flex Wood Futon Frame with Innerspring Suede Mattres
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™