Bedroom ceiling fan making clicking noise, what to do?

shelendeJuly 12, 2008

I purchased a ceiling fan at Home Depot, electrician installed it yesterday morning. My DD told us now that it has a clicking sound that you don't hear at the beginning but becomes apparent as the fan picks up speed.

Is the sound caused by an installation error or is it something to do with the fan? I believe the clicking is caused by the fan vibrating and if so, what can be done about that. Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gayle0000

If it's got any pull-chains for the fan speed and/or the light, that could be bumping and clicking.

Bookmark   July 12, 2008 at 10:17AM
annzgw

What's the brand? I would call the 800# of the manufacturer and try to get customer service. Older fans often click when they need oil, but I wouldn't think this is your case.

My DM has a fan that doesn't run as quiet on high speed, but she accepts it since it's an inexpensive fan. Plus, it's in a room she rarely uses!

Bookmark   July 12, 2008 at 10:22AM
brutuses

It could be unlevel.

Bookmark   July 12, 2008 at 10:50AM
shelende

It's not the pull chain as we held it as the fan was moving and there is no difference in the clicking sound.

Bookmark   July 12, 2008 at 10:54AM
justgotabme

Yep, I'm with brutuses. It's probably out of balance. And that would be a problem with instalation. I've installed many fans before, but always double check the balance or you'll hear the clicking.

I would first check to make sure it's not the chains though. They can make a sound when the fan is on high from the breeze blowing on them. But then again, that too can be caused by being a bit off balanced.

Call your electrician and ask him to stop by to see what's up. It's his responcibilty to make it right.

Bookmark   July 12, 2008 at 11:02AM
johnmari

I had the same problem and it was exactly as gayle said, it was the darn pull-chains knocking against the fan housing! I used a tiny bit of museum wax to stick the chain to the fan housing, no more click-click-click.

If the fan's really shaking a lot once it gets going, it probably isn't supported well enough. This is common when a conventional overhead light is replaced by a ceiling fan. Take the fan down, disconnect and remove the electrical box, and insert a retrofit brace like this one, available at any hardware store or home center. It slides right into the hole, very easy to install. Then electrician puts wires back into box and puts ceiling fan back up. Should take less than 30 minutes unless your electrician is a total yutz. ;-)

Oh, and a P.S. - if the fan has a light kit, the bulbs will last a lot longer if you use the special ceiling fan bulbs. They are made to better withstand the fan's vibration, which weakens the filaments in regular bulbs. They're also smaller, which looks far more attractive in kits with downlights.

Bookmark   July 12, 2008 at 11:13AM
redbazel

When ours starts making noise, my DH checks to see if the blades need leveling, since checking the pull chain is pretty easy and can be eliminated as the problem quickly. One fan in our house simply needed to be replaced, since it was a cheap one and wasn't worth having. Check out this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Most family handymen can do this fix

Bookmark   July 12, 2008 at 11:18AM
justgotabme

oops. I must have been writing when you were. I'd contact the guy that installed it or the store you purchased it from if you arranged the install through them.

Bookmark   July 12, 2008 at 3:25PM
More Discussions
Tibbrix: Wolverine Brass
Starcraft researches faucets, and they have a post...
may_flowers
Dove soap users...
Have you noticed they made the bar soap smaller? I...
SheeshareeII
Check In here, Roll Call
Hello dear friends! Have you made it here ok? Let this...
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
Art height...opinions
i'm hanging six botanicals above table. Do you think...
Kitch4me
Baseboards and door molding
my baseboards are dark-stained wood to match wood floors,...
valmooreinphx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™