Long distance

gramcraftSeptember 4, 2003

Can anyone tell me if I HAVE to have a long distance provider to use calling cards from my home phone? I am so tired of paying AT&T every month for nothing. I can't even use them for a long distance call as they have me blocked. Can't even use a 10-10 #. I have been using a calling card sent by DD but wonder if I can drop my long distance provider and still use the calling cards.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mid_tn_mama

I don't. But once I was in a big hurry and just called long distance (forgot I hadn't chosen anLD carrier) and got a WHOPPING over- a dollar-a-minute charge for a long phone call.

I use the walmart/costco/sams cards and they are around 5 cents a minute. I havent' had time to program the numbers into my phone yet (you put the card phone number and your pin number as two buttons on your fast dial.)

Bookmark   September 6, 2003 at 10:48AM
SadieSadie

We have been using the card one gets at Sam's Club for years and couldn't be happier. ALL U.S. calls, regardless of time placed, are 3.47 cents per minute. I live in Wisconsin and many calls are to my mother, also in Wis. Unlike other phone plans, they are the same 3.47 cents/min. I buy 1000 minutes at a time (charged to credit card, for $34.70). Very convenient, and A LOT cheaper than a phone plan. To answer your original question, you do NOT have to have a plan through a phone company, but heed mid_tn_mama's advice and don't just pick up the phone and dial without thinking. That gets expensive!

Bookmark   September 6, 2003 at 4:10PM
Cynic

Around here, I have no designated LD carrier and so if I try to do a 1+ dialing, I get a recording to enter a code #, which is great because if the computer tries to dial (as some spyware or viruses can do) or if someone tries to make an unauthorized call, they're caught. I use a dialaround service at 3.9¢/min. which goes onto the phone bill. No messing with prepaying for service on phone cards. I'm very happy with the arrangement.

Ken

Bookmark   September 7, 2003 at 3:54AM
gramcraft

Many thanks for your helpful advice folks. Just tired of paying for something every month that I can't even use. I even get asked for a 3 digit passcode for some dial-arounds.

Bookmark   September 7, 2003 at 9:19AM
Michelle_S

I love OneSuite. It is 2.5 cents a minute anytime, but you do have to dial the 800 number first, then your password, then the number. It may take an extra 30 minutes, but we save over $200/year on long distance!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: OneSuite

Bookmark   September 9, 2003 at 2:05AM
gramcraft

Thank you Michelle, I think that is what my daughter in WV uses. I haven't checked it out as I thought there was a problem with the access#, but think when my calling cards are out, I will so so.

Bookmark   September 9, 2003 at 12:00PM
doucanoe

I dropped AT&T several months ago for the same reason. Made $.22 of long distance calls, but got billed $7.00! Monthly fees, access charges, etc. What a rip off! I called my local phone company (Qwest) and asked to remove AT&T but don't put another one on. I have been using 10-10-987 but now that Qwest has LD and my husband works for them I think I will use them. They have a no monthly fee plan, and the rate is $.15 per minute. I don't mind paying that, beats paying seven bucks for a 3 minute LD call!

Bookmark   September 11, 2003 at 2:50PM
gramcraft

Thanks for the input and....get this....we share a birthday.

Bookmark   September 12, 2003 at 12:36PM
lilypad22

We paid them for years. Then we changed companies a couple of times and it was more expensive so we switched back. Apparently our phone company says we "have" to have a LD provider. You don't have to pay a fee every month. I say this as to where I live, I know there are differences in different areas. Go online at AT&T and look at their plans. We have a plan that doesn't cost any monthly fee and the rates are reasonable also. We only use it rarely as we have a free weekend cell phone plan or we use the Sams/Walmart calling card 3cents.

Bookmark   September 14, 2003 at 9:55PM
kathyg_in_mi

I dropped our long distance server (AT&T) a few years ago. You do not have to have a LD server. We used the Sam's Club calling card. I hated to have those "surprise" bills. With 4 kids in college our bills were terrible. It was nothing to have a SBC bill for $33 and an AT&T bill for over a $100.
In the passed 6 months I have gotten a LD carrier again and am very happy with it. I had 128 minutes of LD and my bill came to $5.78. There is no "basic" fee! I am a happy camper now!
Kathy G in MI

Bookmark   October 9, 2003 at 7:38PM
gramcraft

Kathy, what LD carrier did you go with?

Bookmark   October 11, 2003 at 3:18PM
alison

Has anyone signed up for "The Neighborhood"? I'm interested in the promise that your bill will be $49.95 -- every month, regardless of the number of LD calls you make. It's not unheard of for me to make $100 in LD a month, so it's not only a savings, but easily budgeted for.

However, I'm suspicious of pretty much every promise a utility makes!

Bookmark   October 13, 2003 at 5:57PM
SandiD

Most of my LD is within the state & boy, can THAT be expensive. I have one of the plans with AT&T that do not have a monthly service fee & make all my LD with my cell phone. If my kids want to call one of their friends from camp, they use calling cards.

Bookmark   October 14, 2003 at 2:09PM
More Discussions
Which smartphone for PagePlus?
Looking for help for my first smartphone purchase,...
wonderinginnh
Problem: 400 lbs. meat, 90 degr heat, power outage 6 hour, ongoin
When the power went out just after 4 p.m. Thursday,...
joyfulguy
Money saving idea
Start deep cleaning your home. It is amazing the things...
ellendi
Food preserving
We all know vacuum packing food preserves it without...
Curt D'Onofrio
Holiday decorations
Hey all, I've got a great money saving tip for everyone. You...
TmF1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™