Hardiboard over siding?

davestexasJune 17, 2011

Although my hardboard siding is in good condition(house 1986 built), I intend to install Hardiboard. I've heard that: (1)it's common/ok to install over existing siding, (2)it is better to remove siding first. Thoughts/experience with this? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
renovator8

Fibercement siding is not very strong or stiff so it has trouble looking flat on an uneven substrate. If the existing siding is true you might be able to put the fibercement siding over it if you are using the same coursing.

The other issue is that fibercement is a water reservoir material that can hold moisture after a hard rain or prolonged high humidity and allow it ot be driven into the house if exposed to strong sunlight after a hard rain.

Therefore the wall system must be designed to either allow or prevent moisture migration into the building. This depends largely on the climate of your area but the membrane chosen must lie against the existing siding unless such a membrane is already installed under the original siding. The existing siding could just be in the way.

Bookmark   June 19, 2011 at 8:42PM
brickeyee

No siding is the actaul drainage plane.

It is there to protest the drainage plane from exposure and damage.

Leaving an older layer is a cost cutting move that can lead to long term problems when moisture penetrates the top layer and remains trapped between the drainage plane and the top layer.

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 10:11AM
zippity1

we live in a burb of houston tx.
we replaced the siding on our house and built a 1200 square ft shop with hardiplank 8 and 10 yrs ago
we did remove the original siding on the house and put "something" don't know what underneath the siding on both
note, the nails have to be much closer together on hardi than on wood siding, we put a good paint job on both and we're really happy with the hardiplank

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 9:33PM
More Discussions
Gable Vent Color Suggestions- Insight please
Hopefully someone can give me insight! We recently...
storyta
how did gap between floor and wall close up by itself?
I have hardwood floors and there is/was a spot at the...
tlbean2004
What is this stove part called
Found this item in the oven, I know it came from the...
pegasus101
Sagging Anderson Storm Door
I had an Anderson storm door installed a couple of...
gridgedad
Door knob
My front door knob screws won't stay tight so if I...
padfoot4768
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™