Question on waterproofing basement

indymom76June 14, 2009

Hello-My husband and I bought our house going on 4 years ago. Lately, we have noticed more water problems in our basement. It's not standing in many places, but it is definitely seeping through somewhere. My husband wants to bring in dirt and slope it away from the house-which I think is a good idea. The part I'm not sold on yet is adding the plastic below the dirt-about 2-3 inches below the soil on top. He wants to do this all around the house. I worry about the flowerbeds. Any thoughts? Suggestions? We're open to any. We've had about 5-6 guys out to look at it and they've all given us different suggestions to get rid of the problem. I want to try the dirt, since it sounds like the most logical and cheapest bet. I just don't want the plastic down, which would prevent growth of flower beds! Any help would be appreciated-thanks!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

Adding the plastic could be counter productive. That could create a difference in the moisture content of the soil which could harm the foundation even more.

Try adding the dirt---it needs to be packed a bit and have grass/plants to hold it in place.

Clean the gutters and inspect the down spouts. Look at the downspout outflow areas, where the water goes when it comes out.

Bookmark   June 15, 2009 at 1:04AM
alphonse

Your husband's thoughts are proven techniques, although different materials are used....plastic sheeting can be OK. The material should slope away from the foundation/house. Three inches is a bit shallow, deeper is better. It won't harm plants as long as the drainage is sloped.
The width of the sheeting depends on the perc qualities of the soil.

Bookmark   June 15, 2009 at 5:08AM
lissy2009

i know the best waterproofing company in Toronto. They have been in business a long time 80 years? They did my house after two other companies did it. They are the best and i am taking the time to write this to save someone else the headache

Here is a link that might be useful: rcc waterproofing

Bookmark   June 22, 2009 at 10:38PM
More Discussions
Should we raise/fix concrete slab in driveway or wait?
Just moving into a new house this month. So the inspector...
mattsk42
Asbestos in Popcorn Ceiling/ worried sick
Hi. My house was built in the late 60s and I recently...
mogley966
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
blakekr
Craftsman Garage Door opener won't close
Hello, Wife came home today and was able to open garage...
mattb32
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™