wet garage floor

amav31June 14, 2005

Hi

We moved into this house 2 years ago and today I noticed that the garage floor in some spots is wet. I initially thought that my garden tractor(that I park in the garage) is leaking oil. I touched the floor to check it out and also smelled it. It looks like it is just water.

The water is not actually pooling in puddles ,the floor is just wet and and can see the water spread out over a 2 feet area.

Why did this happen.? What should I do to fix this.?

Any suggestions musch appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

Condensation. There is no way to fix it-----other than climate control----which is not feasible due to opening the garage door. It will only happen on days when the humidity is high, nights were relatively cool and the days hot.

Bookmark   June 15, 2005 at 8:18AM
Michael_H

You should also check the downspouts. Make sure they are clear. If they dump on the ground, make sure they are extended at least 4' from foundation.

Michael

Bookmark   June 15, 2005 at 1:20PM
GDS_

It's difficult to stop the floor from sweating, however you can control it to some degree. I had the same problem.
I went to the local K-mart, bought a small, bedroon ceiling fan with no light on it, and mounted it to the ceiling of the garage and wired it to the house wiring. Now it stays on all the time, and when the air is constantly moving in there, it evaporates the moisture rather quickly. We also noticed that it eliminated the musty smell. That was 10 years ago, but at that time I think I paid 25 bucks for the ceiling fan. I think they're still about that price.

Bookmark   June 15, 2005 at 11:36PM
drywall_diy_guy

What's happening is the dewpoint outside is well above the temperature of your garage floor. Where we live, if we get a real humid day in late May with a dewpoint above 60 deg, our garage floor (temp in the 50's) will form all kinds of condensation as if it rained inside. As the summer wears on and your floor warms up, you will see less of this condensation. No cure for this other than moving your garage onto a new slab that is well insulated underneath with dense foam. My neighbor just put in a garage with a heated slab - that would be my dream garage floor.

Bookmark   June 16, 2005 at 1:27PM
Michael_H

I like that ceiling fan idea! I'm going to do that with my garage...today! Thanks for the tip!

Michael

Bookmark   June 16, 2005 at 2:37PM
More Discussions
What type of wall is this and how do I fix it?
The bottom part of my closet interior wall is crumbling,...
sippy_spence
Metal fence panels - steel or aluminum? Best brands?
I want to put up a fence to divide my side yard from...
ktmast
Curtain Rods
Hi, I am not sure where to post this so my apologies...
newquilter
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
Old kitchen drywall
Finally are giving our kitchen a facelift. We have...
katlan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™