strange school rules around the world

harry123456July 17, 2008

EVERY school has its own set of rules to keep students disciplined . The rules change from one school to another. Some schools are much stricter than others. There are also some rules that look strange or funny to us. Here are some funny school rules:

Tough Japanese rules

Most schools demand that students wear uniforms, such as sports suits or skirts. But many Japanese schools even regulate the colour of underwear ! They also demand that girls' white socks be folded in a certain way and boys' heads be shaved .

Other Japanese schools tell students that they may not date, go to movies, leave home after sunset or play video games without permission from the school.

Different shoes in US

For safety at some US schools, students must have a pair of indoor shoes to change into at school every day. This makes sure students won't fall over on the slippery floors and keeps the schools clean.

Gum chewing is not allowed in many US school buildings, as it is difficult to clean up. And if students chew gum in class, they may not focus on their study.

No strange hair in UK

Strange hairstyles are not allowed in some British schools. But they might allow students to wear certain hairstyles during the World Cup years. Two students had a special design shaved into their hair during 2002 World Cup. But they were not accepted by their school after that because the school said the rules changed since then.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flowerchild_2008

Where did you find these rules? How bizarre that the Japanese tell their students what colour underwear they should wear.

I know many private schools in Australia that also do not allow strange hairstyles, particularly boys' schools where the students hair must not be longer than a certain length. Private schools are pretty tough all around though.

Bookmark   August 20, 2008 at 6:01AM
dilly_dally

Its not bizarre that a school tells a student what color underwear they must wear.

A lot of jobs have rules about underwear color for their employees.

Bookmark   September 23, 2008 at 9:08PM
daistheputridone

i know, a lot of the japanese school rules in particular are pretty unbeleiveable, but theyd be so hard to enforce i dont really see any weight to them, still....too much regulation

the school doesnt own you, you just learn there, y'know

Bookmark   April 22, 2009 at 12:32AM
More Discussions
College
Scholarships or grants..Do any of you know where to...
donnakt_gw
Does anyone know how homeschooled kids get admitted to college?
My niece was in private school, then public, then homeschooled,...
sue36
Beestar is cool!
So happy to share with you guys! We used to use Kumon....
yvonnemommy
Handwriting
My DS is 14 and has really messy handwriting. I have...
popi_gw
Block A University Sweater
Does anyone know what school or university this represents?...
subrosa
Sponsored Products
SENCHA Tea Maker by Blomus
$96.29 | Lumens
Plumen 001 Light Bulb by Hulger
$30.00 | Lumens
Stranger in a Strange Land Print
$18.99 | Dot & Bo
San Mask Pillow Cover
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Glowing Orb Canvas Wall Art by Megan Duncanson - 30W x 22H in. - ART008HN
$103.57 | Hayneedle