Is this how stucco is supposed to be?

rbkrazyJune 18, 2011

My house was built in the 50's before wall insulation was standard in my area (Fresno, Ca). I am in the process of adding insulation to each room and have started on a room that was built onto the house years before I bought it (with permits).

The previous rooms that I did this too, after I removed the drywall, there was an exterior board type material. When I started to pull down the drywall on the addition, there is only a paper material and then stucco. I am just wondering if this is okay or if its supposed to have the same board material? If it is, then does that mean I need to have someone come in and redo the exterior walls?

Thank in advance for anyones help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snoonyb

The material is one of the standard wire lath material presently used.

Bookmark   June 19, 2011 at 12:49AM
rbkrazy

Thanks for the answer.

I understand the material, but I thought there was supposed to be some kind of sheathing or plywood between the paper and the interior like the rest of the house?

Bookmark   June 19, 2011 at 1:02AM
sierraeast

50's houses that are stucco in california used diagonal bracing,(let-in) instead of solid plywood or osb bracing that is common today. The lathing process over the studded walls typically has wire backing strung stud to stud, followed by buiding paper, followed by lath wire,(chicken wire) and nailed off with furring nails. Flashings and weep screeds were used similar to what is used today. Once the scratch/brown coat is on and cured, that is the strength of the wall claddin so there is no reason for you to worry about backing inbetween the studs. Your only concern is if you spot areas that show signs of leaking, (usually it will be stained areas) where you can address those issues while you have the cavaties open.

Bookmark   June 19, 2011 at 10:17AM
rbkrazy

Thanks sierraeast... that makes a lot of sense.

Must appreciated!

Bookmark   June 19, 2011 at 8:46PM
More Discussions
Drywall issues?
I have noticed a spot above a window that has been...
deandiamond
damp/ruined dry wall in window corners
I need help with a plan or how to for fixing and repairing...
betty_joanne
Should we raise/fix concrete slab in driveway or wait?
Just moving into a new house this month. So the inspector...
mattsk42
Stranges lines in frost pattern on roof
I have these lines on the roof when there is a frost....
cswartzwelder
Crawlspace floods with water, but it doesnt touch the wood, ok?
I have a crawlspace that is about 2 ft from the ground....
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™