Shoe stretching

boothbayAugust 20, 2013

Cleaning out the attic we came across this object that the previous owners left.It looks like an old fashioned shoe stretcher. Coincidentally, I needed just such an item for my shoe. I have seen the later ones that are completely different from these so i am just guessing how these may work. The knob at the end confused me until I thought that it has to be hammered down fully to give the shoe the stretch...but its next impossible to do. Does anyone know just how these are suppose to work? Here are two photos of it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Apparently one cannot include 2 photo's in one message so here is the other view....unless someone can tell me how does one include more than one photo in one message..

    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 4:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

That does not look like a stretcher to me... it looks like a shoe last (used to make and repair shoes).

    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 4:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I agree. I looks like a last.

    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 7:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I have heard of a shoe horn but why is this object called a "last"?

    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 9:45AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Could also be a shoe that you put in your shoes after wearing them. A shoe stretcher would be something that you can adjust wider at the toe part and also adjust from heel to toe.

    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 1:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Post this in the antiques and collectables forum and see what they say.

    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 4:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I am not old but my dad used these. He had very dressy shoes for work and stored his shoes with these in them in the closet. They kept the shoe's shape. You slide the toe part in, and then push the knob down towards the heel. It should be very snug, but if it's next to impossible to wedge into your shoe, then it's just too big. he also used them when polishing his shoes. Maybe so they wouldn't shrink? This was only back in the 70s and 80s.

    Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 3:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I had a pair some years ago that looked like these.

They're shoe trees, used to put into shoes after wearing to help maintain their shape, to keep them straight rather than curling up a bit..

I also had a pair that had a narrower, rounded stick at the back, with a spring in it, which pushed back against the heel.

ole joyful

    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 5:36PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
hail damage
is it necessary to have hail damage insurance in MN...
Harvest forum
There is a forum in the garden web called harvest that...
Money saving idea
Start deep cleaning your home. It is amazing the things...
Saving money when using an air condiioner or dehumidifier
This will actually save you money only if you pay for...
Need Ideas-Extra Space/Supplemental Income
My wife and I recently had twins which upped our kid...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™