door knob/lockset for interior garage door

JasmarJune 1, 2011

Ok, posting this here because the guys at the two local big box (orange and blue) think I am crazy. I need to replace the doorknob/lockset for the door that is between my living room and garage. The current doorknob/lockset on there works like a normal lockset but once the door is closed you can turn the knob and the latch extends into the doorjamb like a deadbolt. I thought this was called a garage entry lockset but like I said no one at either of the big boxes knew what I was talking about. They suggested that I take it off and bring it up to them but not sure what that would solve since they obviously don't stock such a thing. Have had basically the same thing on two different houses (approx 25-30 year old houses) so I know I am not crazy. Maybe they no long make these things. Guy at orange big box suggested I install a normal deadbolt but I need something that latches cause I dont want to lock it each time I go in and out (laundry is in garage). And I would rather not have to cut another hole in the door. Anyone know what I am describing and if any manufactures still make such a thing. I checked the schlage and kwikset websites and am not seeing them.

Thanks,

Jason

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sdello

I was curious so I did some searching on line. I believe you're looking for a "handleset" which combine a typical entry lock and and a deadbolt in the same unit. The link has a lot of different styles and the units that typically have a single handle appear to be commercial grade units intended for hotel use.

Hope that helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: handlesets

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 11:31PM
More Discussions
Moss removal help!
Can anyone tell me how to effectively remove what looks...
nycbride07
Heating tool
Picked this for free at an estate sale. Wood burning,...
tim45z10
Sagging Anderson Storm Door
I had an Anderson storm door installed a couple of...
gridgedad
what type of contractor needed for this?
What type of contractor is needed to replace a rotting...
pdg777
Cellulose Insulation - Do we really need the blower?
We have 8 to 10 packages of cellulose insulation that...
kendog2
Sponsored Products
Dayton Garnet Red Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Home Styles Montego Bay Four Door Multi-Purpose Storage Cabinet - 5661-27
$698.00 | Hayneedle
Black/Cherry 62-inch Bookcase TV Stand & Media Console
Overstock.com
Tranquility Round Knob
Signature Hardware
23 Inch Bathroom Vanity Set
TheBathOutlet