Move dryer hookups from left to right?

jaxoJune 23, 2013

My front loading washer needs to be on the left for better usability due to the way the doors swing, but the dryer connections are in that spot. So, as a workaround, there is extended exhaust vent tubing and a longer gas line connection tube so the dryer can reach the left side connections from the right side.
I may be replacing the washer and dryer and the some of the larger new sets will not fit unless they can be pushed all the way back close to touching the wall
Rather than continuing to use the exposed ducting extensions that prevents the washer and dryer from being pushed back to the wall, I'm thinking of seeing if the exhaust hookup can be moved.
Maybe remove the drywall and add a new section of ducting on the right side and then replace the drywall, retexture and refinish?
Does this look possible or is it impractical?
I have a link below showing what it looks like behind the current washer and dryer.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If it leads to an unfinished basement immediately below, fairly easy. If not, it gets more complicated. Just how complicated depends a lot on the route of the ducting.

    Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 8:26AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I can't understand why front loaders can't be made to open either way (or have opposite opening a special order option). I have the same problem in my laundry room - so when the time comes to replace, I'll get top loaders.

    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 9:35AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The european w&d have dryer on left, washer on right ( miele). They are expensive, but it sounds like your house is already designed for them.

    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 9:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I don't recommend buying appliances from a manufacturer that would make a unit so you cannot switch the door hinging, either on the washer or the dryer, as you may not need to switch them both.

    Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 10:05PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Ice damming !! Desperate for advice 911!!!
WE have severe ice damming on the roof of our home...
2x8 Joists are 1.75x7.75 and 2x6 Joists are 1.75x5.75? why is this?
I know that lumber is smaller than actually stated...
Water Drip Stain on Roof Fascia?
My roof edge on the corners of the front porch is leaving...
Hubby and I disagree on who to call for cracks
So we keep arguing for like 5 years now (husband and...
Should we raise/fix concrete slab in driveway or wait?
Just moving into a new house this month. So the inspector...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™