Directing water around a garden bed

basketcatJune 12, 2009

I have a garden bed that wraps my deck on two sides (L shape) the front end slopes down a bit of a hill. When we get really heavy rain the water tends to use the edging that borders the bed as a path. It now resembles a trench.

I am not able to spend a fortune on a fix for the problem. I am hoping that there is something that I can do myself. I have thought about doing a small stone retaining wall maybe only 3 courses, and then put small stone in front of the wall.

Any ideas, suggestions, input???


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You may need a combination of diversion and retention. For example, a rain barrel could help with the bulk, could be used in your garden.
Deep digging and stone placement in a drywell fashion is another possibility.
The retaining wall would suffer if it has to take the brunt of moving water at that volume.

    Bookmark   June 15, 2009 at 6:07AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
Sagging Anderson Storm Door
I had an Anderson storm door installed a couple of...
Roof leak - best way to find it?
Hi Everyone, I am a condo owner in New Jersey and own...
Cellulose Insulation - Do we really need the blower?
We have 8 to 10 packages of cellulose insulation that...
HydroShield Sealant?
I have some granite that is failing to maintain stain...
Sponsored Products
Eli Spacely Multi-Flex Daybed Lounger with Mattress and Pilllow Set
Bronx Queen-size Bed
Handcraft Nile Blue 18-Inch Square Throw Pillow
$32.99 | Bellacor
Honey-Can-Do Armoires Double-Door Wardrobe with Two Drawers khaki with brown
Home Depot
Furniture of America Rocklin Platform Bed - IDF-7948T
$359.99 | Hayneedle
Dimplex Bailey Media Console with Electric Fireplace - GDS25-1242E
King Lanai Coverlet 112" x 97" - WHITE/ WILLOW
$250.00 | Horchow
Jade Rampage Sheet Set
$19.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™