Re-attaching soap dish on tile shower wall

ljbrandtJune 2, 2013

I've done this once before using a modified latex thin-set mortar, but it fell off again yesterday (about 2yrs later). I've decided to use either a construction adhesive or epoxy to re-mount the soap dish back to the wall...as you can see from the pictures, the thin-set is still in the wall and there isn't much room for much product.

My question is, which product will work best in this application, construction adhesive (liquid nails, loctite power grab etc. or epoxy, i.e. jb weld).

I will be using 100% silicone to seal around the soap dish once it is re-fastened to the shower wall.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

If the backerboard is in good shape, I'd clean it well, the back of the soap dish, too, and use an application of Exterior Grade Liquid Nails.
It will never be more secure than the backer board that it's attached to.

Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 9:02PM
homebound

I would rough up the backer with a grinder (or just put some notches in it), then use thinset one more time. You'll have more surface area that way, and it will be "cleaner" so the thinset adheres. I'd probably replace the soapdish, too, since they're cheap and will give you a clean surface w/ more space for the thinset.

After it cures, seal the perimeter with adhesive caulk.

This post was edited by homebound on Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 9:34

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 9:33AM
ljbrandt

Just wanted to follow up and share a solution that worked for me...Loctite 'PL Premium' construction adhesive did the trick. After 24hrs cure time, i pulled on the soap dish to see how it would hold and it didn't budge - in fact, I could even see the tile wall bend from pulling on the soap dish! I think the PL premium it the fastest way to go...it might even be stronger than the thinset method!

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 1:48PM
More Discussions
Old kitchen drywall
Finally are giving our kitchen a facelift. We have...
katlan
Ice damming !! Desperate for advice 911!!!
WE have severe ice damming on the roof of our home...
coffeemama1
Hubby and I disagree on who to call for cracks
So we keep arguing for like 5 years now (husband and...
dahoov2
Insulating an inaccessible crawl space?
My 1940s bungalow style house sits on a crawl space...
blessedbe
Roof leaking due to antique bricks? (X-post with Bldg a Home)
Good morning! We are having a problem with our new...
cvazqu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™