Are adjustable rate mortgages assumable?

marie26August 7, 2006

Can I assume the mortgage of someone who wants to sell their home but has an adjustable rate mortgage? Are some assumable and others not, depending on the way the mortgage was written?

I was thinking that this might be a cheap way to get a house.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bud_wi

These are the type of questions that cannot be answers on a general discussion board.

Legal contracts are very individual. It would be like asking things like "Will my landlord let me paint?" or "Can I buy a car using a credit card?"

You will have to get a lawyer to read over the paperwork and tell you your options, if there are any.

Bookmark   August 7, 2006 at 4:29PM
marie26

I know that each case is different.

I only wanted to know if it is usual for adjustable rates to be assumable. Or would that be extremely unusual.

Bookmark   August 7, 2006 at 5:08PM
spewey

In most cases, mortages are not assumable, but why does that matter? The only point that is important is whether or not the particular mortgage in which you are interested is assumable, and for that, you need to check the contract.

Bookmark   August 7, 2006 at 6:01PM
quiltglo

I don't think mortgages have been assumable for quite some time and if someone had that old of a mortgage, they would have quite a bit of equity. Ask on the buying and selling homes board, marie. A couple of the mortgage people will probably answer with information.

Gloria

Bookmark   August 8, 2006 at 3:32AM
marie26

Gloria, good point. I will ask on the buying and selling homes board. I didn't know they went out of style.

Bookmark   August 8, 2006 at 8:55AM
josestrauss

I can't see why you would want to assume an ARM. Typically a person tries to assume a mortgage because it locks in a low rate for a long time. Unless it's an ARM with significant tie left on it, why bother?

Bookmark   August 11, 2006 at 7:25PM
More Discussions
Savings achieved in daily household routine
When I plan to open a can of frozen juice tomorrow,...
joyfulguy
Off topic: A sad tale but also true...
A widow friend of mine was telling me today about the...
budster
How to get $1.00 worth of Cdn. charitable value for 50 - 60 cents
If I buy some groceries in the food store and put them...
joyfulguy
Best Money Saving Advice
What do you do that saves a lot of $$$? I know many...
callie25
Quite a few made big savings on Amazon
Due to a quirk in their pricing software ... quite...
joyfulguy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™