Replacing exterior wood trim

red_cat2June 3, 2008

I need to replace some rotting exterior wood trim. This is the second time I have had to do this since moving to my home and I am concerned this will be a continued problem. I had a suggestion from my brother to use pre-primed cedar. I asked a contractor about doing this and he suggested PVC board. I have never heard of this stuff, so I don't know if its a good idea. How well would it blend with the wood that I am not replacing? Does it hold up well? Does it look good? What is a better choice cedar or the PVC?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

PVC boards are simply the same (similar) plastic used in pipe molded into boards. Paintable and rot proof. As for the match, that depends on the existing boards, but the match would probably be better than the cedar.

Bookmark   June 4, 2008 at 9:15AM
brusso

PVC sometimes wont match an existing piece. For example, if you are changing out a sill nose that is wood, a PVC sill nose only fits a PVC sill!!! Beats me why they dont make them the same but they aren't.

Bookmark   June 4, 2008 at 12:07PM
brickeyee

You can also use Hardiplank (and other similar cement based products).

Bookmark   June 5, 2008 at 9:32PM
fandlil

Why does it rot in the first place? If water is getting inside, maybe you have flashing that was not installed right.

Bookmark   June 7, 2008 at 4:00PM
rredogg

haus,

Before hanging the exterior trim (brickmolding) I paint/seal the bottom of the trim so water does not wick in. Also I have the trim resting a 1/8 or 1/4 inch off the stoop and seal it on the exterior side with caulk.

Just my two cents, rredogg

Bookmark   June 8, 2008 at 12:35PM
brickeyee

Dip end grain exterior trim into Minwax wood hardener.
It is plastic resin dissolved in solvent.
It wicks up into the end grain and hardens, preventing moisture from entering the same way.

Bookmark   June 8, 2008 at 2:08PM
drywall_diy_guy

I replaced my brickmolding with PVC. It will never rot and painted looks identical to the previous trim. Still, I need to touch up and inspect around the brick molding every year or two since mine gets the full force of the weather.

If I could, I would use the modern J-trim around my windows. This is weather-proof and maintenance free. But my old lap siding is too thick for this product.

Bookmark   June 8, 2008 at 4:30PM
mike_kaiser_gw

Take a look at Azek (dot com). They have a large variety of products available and it's top quality. It's also not inexpensive and it installs a little differently than wood so read the directions.

Good luck!

Bookmark   June 10, 2008 at 11:54PM
More Discussions
Gable Vent Color Suggestions- Insight please
Hopefully someone can give me insight! We recently...
storyta
Can you clear my doubt about home security system?
I have a home security system installed recently. Do...
jeckjiem
Andersen patio door repair
My 20-year old Anderson patio sliding glass door is...
daninthedirt
Sidewalk crack
Any way to fill/hide this crack? I could cut slot wider....
stoveguyy
Removing mold from joint compound container
I have a container of Sheetrock All Purpose Joint Compound...
africanboy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™