Leak under Sink.

lostinitJune 8, 2010

The leak is not coming from the gasket. In the first picture the leak is starting from where the threading begins on the pipe (See the green looking stuff). Everything above that thread is dry, the leak is starting where the threading is and trickling down. I suspect I would have to unscrew the bottom pipe, wrap teflon tape and screw it back together but I want to avoid that if I can. I was wondering if I could put some paste where the threads connect to the bottom part with the gasket instead of taking apart the plumbing at the bottom and creating more mess.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ron6519

You need to unscrew the nut and reposition the rubber gasket seal against the sink. The seal is askew and not compressed enough. Sealant is not required.
Ron

Bookmark   June 8, 2010 at 7:05PM
macv

There is no way to avoid taking it apart IMHO.

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 9:42AM
sierraeast

If the picture dictates it correctly, you can see that the drain isn't vertical to the sink and is at an angle causing the gasket to not seat properly. It even looks like a gap is shown on the lower pic. It's not that big a deal to loosen and re-seat the drain. You will want to re-putty or silicone the drain in the sink bowl as well.

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 10:22AM
gzec

I bet the trap below is out of alignment with the sink.

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 11:13AM
hendricus

I've done/had the same thing. Take everything apart and start at the top making sure every part is straight and aligned with the next part. You might have to lengthen/shorten a pipe at the bottom to finish correctly.

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 12:47PM
homebound

I would just loosen/lower that nut, swab some pipe thread compound onto it with your finger, then retighten. Make sure to get the compound that's ok for plastic & PVC, etc.

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 6:11PM
More Discussions
Insulating an inaccessible crawl space?
My 1940s bungalow style house sits on a crawl space...
blessedbe
Crawlspace floods with water, but it doesnt touch the wood, ok?
I have a crawlspace that is about 2 ft from the ground....
tlbean2004
Siding advice for chimney
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice. Yesterday...
andreadeg
Would patio foundation cracks affect the house foundation?
Hi i have a question and i hope that you can answer...
john2525
Painting exterior of house with cedar siding---what to expect
I am about to start getting estimates on having the...
sierrashopper
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™