Help! Need roofing advice

murreyateJune 19, 2009

A storm recently came through our area, and now I have to have my roof replaced. I currently have 25-year shingles on my roof, but I am looking at all my options.

I have heard that the color of shingles affects the temperature of the house. I have also heard that that is a myth. Can anyone weigh in on this from personal experience?

I am also looking at putting a thermal pvc roof system on the house, but I can't find anyone who has any unbiased information on this roofing system, either.

And of course there is always the metal-roof option. I have talked to my insurance agent, and as long as the roof is a class 4 roof, I will receive a 27% discount on my insurance premium, but I need to know if that discount will actually pay for the roofing if there is any issues with a metal roof.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikie_gw

I went from a neutral color asphalt, kind of mostly light brown granules but some dark brown in it too - To a White granule energy rated asphalt.
HUGE difference on winter electric bills ! They jumped up a bunch but summer cooling costs certainly went down a respectable amount.

Moderate color metal roofs now can be had with infrared reflecting paint pigments in formulas that dissipate heat rapidly too. But I imagine the lighter the better still. Recently read they are still trying to get the black pigments even to do that too. Carbon black is used a lot in paints and adds heat. Titanium in paints sheds heat quickly.

You might look around at the Florida solar energy center web site for some info.

Bookmark   June 19, 2009 at 11:55PM
More Discussions
What type of wall is this and how do I fix it?
The bottom part of my closet interior wall is crumbling,...
sippy_spence
Old kitchen drywall
Finally are giving our kitchen a facelift. We have...
katlan
Curtain Rods
Hi, I am not sure where to post this so my apologies...
newquilter
Painting exterior of house with cedar siding---what to expect
I am about to start getting estimates on having the...
sierrashopper
Water Drip Stain on Roof Fascia?
My roof edge on the corners of the front porch is leaving...
pbx2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™