This might be a HUGE question...

brerJune 25, 2009

I don't know who to ask about it.

I live close by a small lake, and I think the foundation of my house is being undermined. Also, the water from three streets comes right into my driveway. A few years ago I had the small utility room remodled, and when the workers took off the loose paneling, they saw a 2 inch crack in the foundation. They decided it was serious and took off the front porch of the house that was adjacent to the room (a nice slate porch, I might sadly add) and put a huge steel beam along the front of the garage to hope to support the front of the house.

Well, since that time, a hole has appeared at the side of the wooden porch. We keep putting gravel and sand into it, but it just keeps eating it. Also, last year in the blacktopped driveway one of the wheels of our car fell into a hole (on a hot day). We pushed the car out and filled that hole. We haven't resurfaced the driveway, because, what would be the point if it's just going to get another sinkhole. At least this way we can keep filling the hole.

Who should I talk to?

What can I do?


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Do you live in a karst area? You need a civil engineer and a consulting geologist perhaps. Sinkholes can swallow houses.

    Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 7:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You need an engineer alright, but just what type is up for grabs.

Civil Engineers plan cities and 'usually' have nothing to do with the physical aspects of building or soil structures.

Might be better off starting with a 'Soils Engineer' who can determine what is first going on with the geology of your lot, then following up with a 'structural engineer' to determine how to make structural corrections to your existing building based on the determined soil conditions...

    Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 10:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

"Might be better off starting with a 'Soils Engineer' ...

Geotechnical engineer.

    Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 9:46AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If it is simply a drainage issue, and you need a culvert, I stand by a civil engineer for that task. If the house has a failing foundation not caused by a sinkhole, a soil/structural expert is appropriate. If it is a sinkhole, I hope you have great insurance.

    Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 10:18AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
What type of wall is this and how do I fix it?
The bottom part of my closet interior wall is crumbling,...
Fixing Spanish Plaster and plaster interior walls (1933 house)
We live in a 1933 Lannon stone home (Lannon stone is...
Old kitchen drywall
Finally are giving our kitchen a facelift. We have...
2x8 Joists are 1.75x7.75 and 2x6 Joists are 1.75x5.75? why is this?
I know that lumber is smaller than actually stated...
foul intermittent smell somewhere?????
So here's our problem. We have lived in our house for...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™