Cell phone battery question

marie26August 3, 2006

I am on my second battery for my cell phone. The first one lasted a little more than a year.

Is it better to always make sure your phone is charged, meaning that if there are 2 or 3 bars, charge the phone? Or is it better to let the battery run down to 1 bar and then charge it? Or does it not make a difference on how long the battery will last?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
western_pa_luann

We always go to deplete or near depletion, then charge. Our batteries always last the two years, then we get new phones.

Oh, and if you car-charge, do not start the engine with the phone hooked to the charger.

Bookmark   August 3, 2006 at 8:54AM
marie26

western pa luann wrote "Oh, and if you car-charge, do not start the engine with the phone hooked to the charger."

Why not?

Bookmark   August 3, 2006 at 1:06PM
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

I think (and I know other people who came to the same conclusion) that batteries wear out a lot faster if charged in the car.

Bookmark   August 3, 2006 at 2:03PM
western_pa_luann

If the phone and charger are plugged in and you start the engine, the battery receives a sort of power surge that ruins it over time. (So the VW rep said - and many people I know have proved it true!).

Bookmark   August 3, 2006 at 4:20PM
steve_o

Many people also buy third-party (i.e., cheap) car chargers which often lack the stabilization circuitry that prevents voltage spikes like that. I have no problem with third-party cases or even headsets, but I won't stray from OEM chargers and batteries.

Bookmark   August 4, 2006 at 9:48AM
Cynic

The amount of charge left before charging affecting the life depends on the type of battery. Some will develop what they call a "memory" where, for instance if you only use 50% of the battery, will eventually only give you 50% life. However the better batteries do not have this problem. Check the type of battery you have.

Here is a link that might be useful: More info...

Bookmark   August 4, 2006 at 9:12PM
greatlakesmower

NiCD batteries, the older ones, had the memory issue. For those, its better to run them down as far as you can before charging or else their cycles become shorter. The newer batteries, NiMH, do not have a memory issue. However, they have a limited amount of times that they can be charged before they die completely. So, again, they will last longer if you run them down before charging. IMO, NiMH is still better, however, because the amount of time between charges does not decrease.

Bookmark   August 28, 2006 at 8:12PM
More Discussions
How to Retire 35 Years Early
Wall Street Journal's Market Watch did a feature on...
jrb451
How to get $1.00 worth of Cdn. charitable value for 50 - 60 cents
If I buy some groceries in the food store and put them...
joyfulguy
Harvest forum
There is a forum in the garden web called harvest that...
sewcrazynurse
Quite a few made big savings on Amazon
Due to a quirk in their pricing software ... quite...
joyfulguy
Best Money Saving Advice
What do you do that saves a lot of $$$? I know many...
callie25
Sponsored Products
Wizard of Oz Doroty Mini FilmCells™ Framed Wall Art
$19.99 | zulily
Clove Antique Pewter LED Battery Operated Rechargeable Buffet Lamp
$299.00 | Bellacor
AICO Furniture - Villagio 6 Drawer Chest - 58071-44
Great Furniture Deal
Christopher Knight Home Comfort Medium Firm 11-inch Twin XL-size Gel Memory Foam
Overstock.com
Salsbury Industries Lockers 19000 Series 30.5 in. W x 31 in. H x 6.25 in. D 10
Home Depot
Dexton Police Pick Up Roadster Pedal Riding Toy - DX-20334
$379.95 | Hayneedle
Modern Fan Company | Stella Ceiling Fan
$436.00 | YLighting
Abetta Gaited Round Skirt Saddle - 205366BK
$397.47 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™