Roof venting: ridge vent and/or fan?

craig00June 26, 2009

I'm getting a re-roof and have both a ridge vent and a fan that turns on automatically. Do I need both or can I save some money by foregoing the ridge vent?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

It takes power to run a fan, and power costs $$.

Passive (ridge vent, wind turbines) costs nothing after the install.

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 4:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

A properly installed ridge vent---on the style of roof that is recommended(gable end roof) with sufficient open soffit vents(An absolute necessity) will ventilate an attic space naturally for no cost other than the cost of installation.

Ridge vents vent the hot air in summer or winter at the highest point of the roof---the peak by utilizing the fact that hot air rises---and rising air creates a low pressure area under it----where the soffit vents are---pulling in cooler air to replace the escaping hot air. The only way to stop this from happening is to physically block either the ridge or soffit vents.

The only down side to having a ridge vent installed is it does change(slightly) the profile of the ridge of the roof. A properly built ridge vent will not allow rain/snow/insects into the attic.

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 8:15PM
More Discussions
Settling crack been repaired by 6 people - any advice?
Our house is 25 years old. The foundation was put in...
BelfastBound
Insulating an inaccessible crawl space?
My 1940s bungalow style house sits on a crawl space...
blessedbe
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
Painting exterior of house with cedar siding---what to expect
I am about to start getting estimates on having the...
sierrashopper
What type of wall is this and how do I fix it?
The bottom part of my closet interior wall is crumbling,...
sippy_spence
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™