New Window in Brick Wall?

idie2liveJune 29, 2009

Hello all. I have a brick veneer house that does not have any windows in the living room that face the street. There are 2 windows on the side facing north, but as you can imagine, it is usually pretty dark in there. This has bothered me for 38 years, but never enough to part with the money to change it. I recently retired and I may be spending more time in this room since it is the only public space in my house. The question - has anyone ever cut a hole in a brick wall to install or enlarge a window? Can it be done neatly and seamlessly? Can you even hope to be able to match old brick colors so it does not look like a patch job?

Here is a link that might be useful: New Window in Brick Wall

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
idie2live

Having trouble getting phots to work, uggghhhhh! Last try, if it doesn't work

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 3:15PM
ron6519

There are two issues with this installation. You need to install a brick lintel over the window to support the bricks above the window and you need to install a brick sill. What will stand out for a long while is the difference in mortar coloring from the old to the new.
Short answer is that it will look like a new installation. Because it is.
Ron

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 3:33PM
dgmarie

a skilled mason can do this work and make it look seamless. I've seen this done on walls where a truck drove into a brick wall and it was repaired and you cannot tell old from new. Ask a mason to show you photos of his work and don't hire one until you can see for yourself. We have substantial re bricking done around patio doors and you cannot see the old and new mortar lines.

Bookmark   July 1, 2009 at 3:44PM
lido

We've had window sizes changed in our brick home and we had the skilled brick masons who matched the mortar perfectly to the existing. It can be done but you need the right masons.

Bookmark   July 2, 2009 at 6:25AM
More Discussions
Siding advice for chimney
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice. Yesterday...
andreadeg
Crawlspace floods with water, but it doesnt touch the wood, ok?
I have a crawlspace that is about 2 ft from the ground....
tlbean2004
Fixing Spanish Plaster and plaster interior walls (1933 house)
We live in a 1933 Lannon stone home (Lannon stone is...
rachelep
Asbestos in Popcorn Ceiling/ worried sick
Hi. My house was built in the late 60s and I recently...
mogley966
Hubby and I disagree on who to call for cracks
So we keep arguing for like 5 years now (husband and...
dahoov2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™