Looking at a 1930's Dutch Colonial

ntl1991June 26, 2011

There's a side-entry Dutch Colonial which was built in 1931 for sale in my neighborhood. It's back yard actually butts against the side of my land. I'm wondering what the chances are that it's balloon-framed and has knob and tube. I'm sure it has plaster walls, and it has steam heating, which I don't mind at all.

The house has newer vinyl windows (but without grilles, they look cheap and plain) and needs exterior work like paint, new fascia boards, and landscaping, but it seems quite solid. It's a 3-bed 1-bath with 1500 square feet.

I'm a bit nervous because my house is one of the newest on the block, being built in 1948, and I have platform framing, drywall, non-metallic sheathed wiring, and I feel a bit nervous of the older house after getting used to these "modern" building technologies.

The house has quite a large, almost full height, attic, (compared to my 3-story house which has no attic access, and most of the ceilings are cathedral) which would make for (relatively) easier rewiring of possible K&T, and maybe central air conditioning in the future...

What about plaster walls? I lived in a turn of the century duplex for the first half of my life with crumbly horse-hair plaster and the only possible option for wall coverings was wallpaper due to all the imperfections. Is it typical for a house of this vintage to have smooth plaster walls that can be painted? (I HATE wallpaper!)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ron6519

It would be easier to look at the house and ask the owners these questions. Then you could see if the walls are up to your specs.

Bookmark   June 26, 2011 at 6:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karinl

Paint over bumpy plaster is an acquired taste, much enjoyed by old house afficionados. You might enquire a bit, share the listing perhaps, at the Old House forum.

KarinL

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 10:27PM
More Discussions
Sidewalk crack
Any way to fill/hide this crack? I could cut slot wider....
stoveguyy
How to stop leak in flat low slope roof
We have a low slope roof over our sunroom and car port....
thebigad
how did gap between floor and wall close up by itself?
I have hardwood floors and there is/was a spot at the...
tlbean2004
Gable Vent Color Suggestions- Insight please
Hopefully someone can give me insight! We recently...
storyta
Can you clear my doubt about home security system?
I have a home security system installed recently. Do...
jeckjiem
Sponsored Products
Burns Leather Ottoman - Brighton Zinc Beige
Joybird Furniture
Bath Rug: Accent Rug: Queen Cotton Natural 30" x 50" Bathroom
$35.97 | Home Depot
Small Heart Wall Clock by David Scherer
$83.95 | Bellacor
Edith Lounge Chair
$649.99 | Dot & Bo
27" White Marble Stone Bathroom Vessel Sink - TOJI WHITE
Living'ROC
Silver Plated 4 x 6 Picture Frame
Classic Hostess
Samba Bold Stripe Ovo Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Safavieh Hand-hooked Chelsea Jungle Beige Wool Rug (7'6 x 9'6 Oval)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™