Easier way to de-construct a wood fence?

graywings123June 13, 2009

I want to remove about six or so boards from a wooden privacy fence, and am planning to reinstall them later. They are secured with 2.5 inch nailscrews. I've tried hammering the boards to remove them, first with a rubber mallet, then a hammer, but except for the first one (which was not attached at all) nothing is happening.

What other ways are there to do this? I only have access from the inside, standing on a ladder and pounding towards myself.

Would a crowbar help? Or is there a specialty tool that would help?

If there is no other way to do it, I would be willing to replace the 6 or so boards that I remove, so sawing them is a option. But that would be more expensive and still leave me with pieces of board attached with the nailscrews.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

Never mind. I was able to hammer out a couple boards.

Bookmark   June 13, 2009 at 3:25PM
randy427

There is a special nail removing tool found at Sears, HD, Lowes, etal. It has a 'V', like a much smaller version of the claw on a hammer, at a 90 degree angle to a 6 or 8 inch shaft. Hammer the 'V' in to grab and pry out the nails by their heads. Often the damage is slight enough that you can reuse the boards on applications like framing and fencing.

Bookmark   June 13, 2009 at 3:32PM
graywings123

Thanks, Randy!

Bookmark   June 13, 2009 at 7:28PM
More Discussions
Painting exterior of house with cedar siding---what to expect
I am about to start getting estimates on having the...
sierrashopper
Curtain Rods
Hi, I am not sure where to post this so my apologies...
newquilter
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
Crawlspace floods with water, but it doesnt touch the wood, ok?
I have a crawlspace that is about 2 ft from the ground....
tlbean2004
Siding advice for chimney
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice. Yesterday...
andreadeg
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™