Sort of money-saving

kaye820July 27, 2013

I love keeping my staples in glass jars to keep them fresh longer, and I have several with the metal wire around the neck and a clamp thingy in front. One them has sprung its clamp and I want to replace it but I don't know what it is called. I hate having to use the word "thingy" because it sounds immature. Besides, I'm a savvy senior (and I'm not talking high school) who is for darned sure not immature. By the way "gizmo" and "widgit" are even worse. Thanks to all.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Google "French canning jars" --- is that what you mean? Try following the Amazon links and seeing if you can buy the parts separately. I know you can buy the rubber seals.

The proper term is thingamabob. ;0

    Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 7:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

My favorite word when I don't know what it is, is "dofunny". It's just a word we picked up in high school in the 60s.

    Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 7:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

It's called a jar bale or a latch.

    Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 8:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You can find some replacement wire bales, and the hard-to-find rubber gaskets at the link below. I just hope you can find the right size. -Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Replacement Parts

    Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 7:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Ha, ha! When I saw the word "staples," I had a vision of metal staples that go into a stapler and was wondering about why you felt the need to keep them fresh.

    Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 9:55AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I wasn't too sure of what they were called until I looked them up. SURPRISE!

When my wife and I were married in 1972 we got a canister set with these latches. Flour, Sugar, Coffee & Tea containers.

Believe it or not we still use them.

You see, we have the BEST money saving plan ever devised.

"Use it up, wear it out. Make it do, or do without."

These canisters have yet to think about wearing out.

    Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 7:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Lol , I also had the thought upon seeing staples that it is for stapler thing . Anyways , hopefully you can find one . :)

    Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 11:54AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Some people have small ones like that, about the size of a spice bottle, and use them for spices.

I have one with dill in it.

ole joyful

    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 5:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Christopher we also have a set of those jars. 4 sizes, no words on them, but they do have strawberries and green vines and leaves.

Got them as a wedding gift in 1981. Scoop my coffee out of one every morning.

    Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 9:17AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If you have a bottle with the bale intact ... and a farmer/mechanic friend, take both to him/her and possibly a couple of minutes work with a set of pliers or vise grips can put your bent one back in shape.

ole joyfuelled ... who's also frugal

    Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 4:34PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Quite a few made big savings on Amazon
Due to a quirk in their pricing software ... quite...
Money saving idea
Start deep cleaning your home. It is amazing the things...
Saving money on water
Unfortunately, in this case you may have to spend to...
How some people can make 35% on some of their money ...guaranteed
At a "World MoneyShow" in Toronto last month,...
Best Money Saving Advice
What do you do that saves a lot of $$$? I know many...
Sponsored Products
Scarabeo by Nameeks Moai Bidet - MOAI ART 8605
$627.91 | Hayneedle
Bover | Oliver Pendant Light
$895.00 | YLighting
Sea Gull Lighting Outdoor Lighting. Riverside Wall-Mount 1-Light Outdoor White F
Home Depot
MLFL50LED50 MaxLite LED MaxLED Flood Light, 50 Watts Bronze
Possini Euro Zona LED 29" Wide Chrome Bath Light
Euro Style Lighting
American Woodcrafters Smart Solutions Twin Bookcase Bed With 2 Nightstands
Beyond Stores
Zen Garden Black 50 x 120-Inch Embroidered Curtain
$144.95 | Bellacor
Satin Nickel Lighted LED Touch 10X Magnified Makeup Mirror
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™