Tile Murals

lilmissunshineMay 18, 2013

Hey everyone, I'm happy to say that I finally got my new granite countertops for my kitchen, YAY! I decided to not do a 4" granite backsplash with it, which left my walls to do a nice tile backsplash. The good news is that I'm so glad I decided not to go with the granite backsplash, the (sorta) bad news is, it's been a little harder than I thought to find a tile that I feel goes with my granite well, Maybe I'm just being picky, I don't know, but, I came across this really great site of murals painted onto tiles by different artists, they're nice & I'm "considering" maybe doing that instead in my kitchen, but, wanted to get opinions, just to see what you guys thought of doing a mural, something more like a painting, but on tile to look at rather than maybe a full 2 walls of tile. Thanks for your opinions :) Here's the link if anyone wants to see what I'm talking about. http://www.tilemuralstore.com/

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

The reason that most people choose tile only rather than a mural is that they know that they have changing tastes over the years. While it's not that hard to rip down a tile mural and replace it at a later date, most don't want to risk the financial investment in a piece of "permanant" art in their home. If you are very sure of your tastes, and they are rather constant, or you don't mind ripping it down in 6-7 years time, then I'd go for it! Something like that IS more interesting than the usual beige or white subway tile, and it's more personal as well.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 8:17AM
nosoccermom

I'm wondering if you could put these tiles on a board that you can attach or lean against the wall, e.g. behind your range.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 10:06AM
beaglesdoitbetter1

We did a tile mural. Ours is from Stone Impressions and I custom designed it. I like it very much and I don't really see getting sick of it any time soon since it goes w/ my kitchen very well.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 1:09PM
steph2000

I'm not generally a mural person, but then I saw some amazing ones with an Asian motif and I was stunned. They ran all across the backsplash instead of just in a focal point area and they were jaw-droppingly beautiful. And likely, jaw-droppingly expensive.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 1:39PM
gpraceman55

On one TV show I saw a changeable mural backsplash. You pull out the panel and substitute another. You can buy pre-made panels or blank ones to apply tiles to yourself. Create different ones for holidays and special events. Seems like a cool system.

Kitchen Tile by Other Metro kitchenpalette.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Palette

This post was edited by gpraceman on Sat, May 18, 13 at 14:20

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 2:14PM
lilmissunshine

@beaglesdoitbetter Your mural is really nice, I checked out the site & they seem to have some wonderful murals, thanks for the link :)
@ Hollysprings , yes, I agree, don't do a mural if your tastes might change, ripping up/off tile is a PITA lol :)
@gpraceman I checked out your link, that's very interesting, I'll have to check further into something like this, I'v never seen this done before, thanks :)

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 10:18PM
More Discussions
Very cool island sink with retractable faucet
Has anyone seen this Sink by Blanco? It is made to...
Dietitian
New Layout Help Please
Here's a first go of a new layout. We eat many meals...
sebandninasmom
Kraus brand faucet/sink?
Does anyone have experience with this brand? There...
CTN30
Fell in love and threw away kitchen design
Gardenweb has been my savior as I struggle through...
beachem
Tiny Galley Kitchen: Layout feedback needed
We've decided we're staying in our current house forever....
ant_farmer
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™