Recommend a rotary tool please

ms_minnamouseJune 21, 2010

I'm looking for a rotary tool (a dremel or other brands) for odd jobs around the house and pet nail filing. Can you guys recommend a decent one at a decent price and where to buy it? There's so many out there, I don't know where to start. Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I have always had good luck with an official dremel tool. They make a cordless version that might be better for you, especially for pet grooming.

    Bookmark   June 22, 2010 at 6:47AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I still have the Dremel tool I got for christmas when I was 15. Next month I turn 49. I use it a lot.
That said, they are not what they used to be. My dear dad bought himself one in the early 90's and it was utter crap and died after a few years.
The best small die-grinder type rotary tool of all time is the Foredom. Separate motor, and a flexible shaft drive. Comfortable to hold all day, and doesn't get hot. With prolonged use, the dremel gets too hot to hold; tiny ball bearings in it.

    Bookmark   June 22, 2010 at 7:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I have had very poor luck with Dremel. They sell bits like the tile cutting bit, and then give you a unit that dies after a couple of hours of off and on use. I had TWO of them go south recently and was able to resurrect one by taking it apart, cleaning everything, and putting it back together. I had another BRAND NEW one die completely after a couple of hours. Someone said that this tool is better for hobbyists. If that's so, then I think they should stop selling bits like the tile cutter.

If your intent is to use your rotary tool to do more than cut balsa wood, I'd go with a unit that's more rugged.

    Bookmark   June 23, 2010 at 9:58AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Garage door
Something strange happened last night. We were watching...
Gable Vent Color Suggestions- Insight please
Hopefully someone can give me insight! We recently...
how did gap between floor and wall close up by itself?
I have hardwood floors and there is/was a spot at the...
what type of contractor needed for this?
What type of contractor is needed to replace a rotting...
What is this stove part called
Found this item in the oven, I know it came from the...
Sponsored Products
Dusk Tufted Sofa
$1,899.00 | Horchow
International Ottoman 920
| Italy Design
AICO Furniture - The Sovereign 10 Piece Dining Room Set -...
Great Furniture Deal
Fine Art Lamps Crystal Bakehouse 810950-23ST Two-Light Wall Sconce
Beaumont Concealed 2 Outlet Twin & Diverter Thermostatic Shower Valve
Hudson Reed
Elk Lighting 12H in. Empress Finial - 91-1493
$54.00 | Hayneedle
Progress Lighting P2709-15 Gather Four-Light Polished Chrome Bath Light With Etc
Progress Lighting
Couristan Vinyasa Halcyon Area Rug - Ebony Multicolor - 9666/0311-5.6X8
$259.00 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™