Help with what to do

hilltop_gwFebruary 18, 2006

Last fall our small school Music Booster group (not under school jurisdiction) undertook a fundraiser to send students on a band trip. The initial goal was $33,000. For a few months now I've heard rumblings that the goal had been met, but there hasn't been a booster meeting in months. A few days ago the President sent out a let indicating "We are at our original goal and a little more but new found expenses seem to be cropping up". I immediately emailed back asking exactly how much we had raised. She responded the group had deposited $47,000. I was shocked and felt we needed to inform our "giving" public that the goal had been met. Obviously the excess $14,000 didn't show up overnight. I feel we're deceiving the public if we continue to raise money when we're over 40% above the goal. I'm happy we reached the goal, but upset that the booster parents weren't informed. I also wanted to know what the additional expenses were. She said it was things like boxes for large instruments, tipping the bus driver @ $150/day, one nights entertainment for 49 youth, etc., plus she'd like to put excess funds in a CD for future trips. Some of these things had never been discussed. I said tipping the bus driver at $150/day seemed excessive & should have been in the initial contract- she then stated it was in the orginal contract (so not really an added expense). Anyway, I just got a spiteful email for asking all these questions--saying it's a volunteer job, if you think you're better qualified, go ahead, take over. I don't think I'm better qualified, I just had questions. I'm on school board, so I know what it's like to field questions, but also have to be accountable. I don't want to rock the boat, but I also helped initially with the fundraiser & I know there's another couple thousand that will still come in from contacted sources. Honestly, am I out of line? What would you do next?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bnicebkind

This forum is sooooo slow right now, that I would advise you to put it over at "The kitchen Table" where you can talk about anything, and it is very active.

Bookmark   February 20, 2006 at 10:07AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sheilajoyce_gw

I would be sure that I attend all meetings and that decisions are made as a group or at least at the board level by a quorum of that board. I agree that the driver tip is excessive. I also agree that you need to be honest with the public from whom you are asking donations and let them know you are at goal and what you intend to do with any excess. I can see rolling it forward to help next year's trip, but I do not see continuing to fund raise this year.

And I too look at the situation from the perspective of a schoolboard member, but remember this is a private organization too. Hope they are following their bylaws.

Bookmark   April 16, 2006 at 8:03PM
More Discussions
Block A University Sweater
Does anyone know what school or university this represents?...
subrosa
teacher gifts
Do you do them at the end of the year? At holidays,...
Stephanie_in_TN
Need advice
I am a mother of two kids, and my youngest, who was...
fruitlover59
Just finished Egypt project! Whew
My son in 7th grade just finished is Egypt project....
laydeebug72
College
Scholarships or grants..Do any of you know where to...
donnakt_gw
Sponsored Products
Watson Leather Bar Stool - Brighton Black Black
Joybird Furniture
Black & Blue Salad Pack
$9.99 | zulily
Infinity Rug 8' x 11' - GREYCREAM
$2,499.00 | Horchow
Richmond Coffee Table
$299.99 | Dot & Bo
Good Ideas 52 Gallon Compost Wizard Starter Kit - EZCJR-STA
$171.94 | Hayneedle