Buying or selling a home with outdated kitchen?

ShowplaceInsiderJuly 19, 2011

In today's housing market, sometimes it is more difficult than ever to get a home sold, especially if the focal-point of the home is a kitchen that hasn't been updated for a many years.

If the cabinets are sound and function well, they can be given a fresh, new look by refacing them. This is a process of changing the doors and drawers on the existing cabinets to a newer style; the specie can be changed and the finish can be updated too.

Current upgrades in materials, adhesives, and installation techniques make this a viable option.

Refacing is a relatively inexpensive way to update the kitchen and help sell a home compared to the cost of a total remodel.

Or, if you are on the buying side, you could get a home by offering less money, then have the cabinets refaced.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

Are you aware that there are separate forums for Kitchens and for Buying/Selling homes?

Bookmark   July 19, 2011 at 12:19PM
ShowplaceInsider

Oops, my bad. Yes I do know that, thought I was in a "money saving tips" forum and that this topic was relevent for people who need to freshen-up a look to sell their property, but might want a less expensive option to a full-blown remodel.

Bookmark   July 21, 2011 at 4:25PM
chinacat_sunflower

as someone who bought a home in the last 10 years?

pre-sale remodels are the brain children of real estate agents, who have had far too free a hand in convincing people that countertops are more important that insulation, that you should pay more attention to the master bath than to the furnace, or the roof...

and look where it's gotten us - crockery-eating granite countertops and uninsulated attics.

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 2:52PM
joyfulguy

If I'm buying a home, with a choice between an outdated kitchen, as is/was ...

... and one that's been somewhat upgraded, but that doesn't suit me, at a somewhat higher price ...

... I'll take the one with the outdated kitchen.

Probably use it for 10 years as-is, then upgrade to suit my own style.

ole joyful

Bookmark   September 8, 2011 at 8:49PM
jannie

Last year my brother "remodeled" my Mom's kitchen by putting in new "granite-look" countertops and new cabinet doors and hardwear. Looked great and Mom was super-happy with her "new" kitchen. Brother also re-painted her bedroom. She was seriously ill,and nearly blind but these updates brought her so much pleasure. Mom passed away in January and the house will be put on the market soon. At least the kitchen is presentable!

Bookmark   September 9, 2011 at 10:31AM
jkom51

As always, a lot depends on your local RE market. No matter what, the important thing is to clean, clean, clean. It's astonishing to me how many people will invite potential buyers into their homes to let them see dirty windows, scratched-up wood flooring, clothes heaped in corners, mildew-smelly basements and filthy bathrooms.

Bookmark   October 6, 2011 at 3:37PM
jannie

This is Jannie, who posted about my late Mom's kitchen. Even tho my brother did cosmetic updates, when he had a real estate agent in, he was told he must fully update the kitchen if he wants to sell the house. He was advised to spend at least $20,000. The "problem" is my parents' house is in a very expensive town, good schools, and the real estate market is slow. Buyers want a place in mint condition and are not looking for "fixer-upers".

Bookmark   November 11, 2011 at 8:46AM
More Discussions
kitchen sink size???
What is the best size for a kitchen sink? I am thinking...
abekker
Coupons
I would like to start checking out coupons to save...
alameda/zone 8
Which smartphone for PagePlus?
Looking for help for my first smartphone purchase,...
wonderinginnh
Need Ideas-Extra Space/Supplemental Income
My wife and I recently had twins which upped our kid...
TomNewEngland
Harvest forum
There is a forum in the garden web called harvest that...
sewcrazynurse
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™