Sandpaper grit

graywings123June 23, 2012

I need to buy a large quantity of triangular hook & loop sanding sheets for a paint scrape and sand project on my porch. I have been using the 60 grit sheets sold in stores, but Fein sells a 40 grit. Is 40 grit too rough to use on wood? Is there a reason Dremel does not sell 40 grit sheets for the Multi-Max, which I am using?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sombreuil_mongrel

I used a Multimaster last fall to strip down 4 very large shutters (10' tall), so this brings back memories, and not good ones!
I think I used 60 grit which came in boxes of 50 sheets, but still needed a finer sanding (80-100 grit) to be ready for primer. The oscillating action is not a smoothing orbit; it gets a lot done for the very small size of the pad.
I know the Fein was designed for continuous use, I don't know if the same can be said for the much less costly Dremel version. I was sanding those louvers for days on end.
Casey

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 4:57PM
graywings123

Thanks. I will get the 60 grit.

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 9:21AM
brickeyee

Look at Kilngspore or one of the other online vendors for sandpaper.

You do not need better quality paper for paint removal, it is going to clog very quickly.

Using a paint stripper is much faster.

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 9:52AM
graywings123

Thanks for the info, Brickeyee. This is for the soffit of a porch overhang. I am heating and scraping most all of the porch, but would rather just sand this area.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 1:45PM
More Discussions
2x8 Joists are 1.75x7.75 and 2x6 Joists are 1.75x5.75? why is this?
I know that lumber is smaller than actually stated...
tlbean2004
Water Drip Stain on Roof Fascia?
My roof edge on the corners of the front porch is leaving...
pbx2
Ice damming !! Desperate for advice 911!!!
WE have severe ice damming on the roof of our home...
coffeemama1
Old kitchen drywall
Finally are giving our kitchen a facelift. We have...
katlan
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™