Epson Scanner

bus_driverDecember 26, 2006

A search of this site did not find any previous posts pertaining to the Epson Perfection Pro 4990 Photo model. Mine worked fine for a short while and it is an awesome machine. But now I have a software problem. Some functions work with some programs, but the Epson Scan cannot be opened. It is the one for scanning photo negatives (up to 8 x 10!) and slides plus much more. I have tried all the suggested fixes.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
urlee

I have the Epson 4490 and it works OK.
I don't know what your problem is?

Urlee

Bookmark   December 27, 2006 at 2:28PM
bus_driver

I do appreciate your reply. My absence from home delayed seeing it. I have Windows XP Pro. The EPSON SCAN feature worked fine for a few days and now will not open. I get the little window advising that I can use the troubleshooting guide if I wish. It does not help. I can go to Control Panel, Cameras And Scanners and use my scanner that way. But that way lacks some of the versatility of EPSON SCAN. So the problem must be in some software issue. I have uninstalled and reinstalled more than 3 times, no help. I got the newer version online from Epson, no help. I am even considering buying another computer for scanner use only, adding nothing to it except the scanner software, never using it online, so that software conflicts will not arise. Please post your suggestions. I again might be away for a few days.

Bookmark   December 29, 2006 at 7:30PM
urlee

So sorry to hear of your trouble and am more sorry that I do not have the answer for you.
I am an Epson person and almost smashed my printer when it decided to stop printing CD's after only 5 discs.
E-mailed Epson to find their support stinks as they did not answer me.
I found the trouble was the "operator" as I had the printer cord up against where the CD had to come out a little behind the machine. That interferred with the cycle.

Urlee

Bookmark   December 31, 2006 at 2:58PM
smokerz_comcast_net

If Epson Scan does not launch or you can't start it then on a Mac select Apple + i and uncheck all languages except for the language you installed under. Epson Scan will then launch and start. Any future change you make to your system software or the Epson software sends a message to check languages. Its just a programmers error for lack of overall knowledge.

Bookmark   March 24, 2007 at 2:05PM
bus_driver

Thanks for noticing my post and responding. As noted, I have Windows XP. Never owned a MAC. I have not tried recently to solve the problem. Previous efforts failed.

Bookmark   March 24, 2007 at 5:46PM
shooter2008

I have the same issue..
I have vista, and 3 months ago the preview window stoped appearing, and now this week i get the same error telling me to check the cable, thus the scanner appears under device manager. I also tried to reinstall it numerous times with out any luck... I tested the scanner on another vist and it works!!! Called epson this morning and they told me that it looks like a vist issue and i need to call Microsoft...i think going to the moon is easier then getting support from Microsoft...

so has anyone managed to solve this issue?? I believe it is a dll or some epson file corruption in the win folder I really do not want to do a NEW Vista install to get the darn scanner working.

Bookmark   April 8, 2008 at 3:18AM
kamaluppal

There is another similar thread at the same forum, please do check that out (link given below).

Please do tell us whether they helped you. Thanks! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: I cannot get my Epson V100 scanner to launch

Bookmark   July 8, 2008 at 1:54PM
cassiopeia24_hotmail_com

Anyone found the solution? I have the same problem, everything seems good, I can scan with other software, but epson scan doesn't work, it only opens a very small window in the left corner at the bottom of the screen with only the close option.
Kamaluppal.. thanks for your links but no one have the same problem.. And I reinstall the software complete 3 times anyway.
I'm, using win 7 and a few weeks ago the epson scan application was working perfectly.
Thanks for any help... please tell if anyone could solve this problem.

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 7:53PM
bus_driver

Kass, my computer with XP Pro developed problems with capacitors on the motherboard and I bought a new computer, a Dell Inspiron with Windows 7 Home Edition. I do not like the Dell. And I liked XP better. The Dell has no software that will operate the scanner and I have not yet attempted to install the software. I do have my old computer repaired now and may set it up for use with the scanner. The bottom line is that I did not solve the problem.

Bookmark   April 12, 2011 at 8:23AM
More Discussions
test photo
just test pic
themaid
Uploading photos
I successfully posted a single pic from my iPad photos ....
buffington22
Gotta get new computer.. What PSP will work?
I have XP & gonna have to get a new computer &...
sugar_fl
alternative to Adobe Photoshop?
Any suggestions for a more user friendly software that...
dahlia6
color matching
Hi. This is a color question. I am in the market for...
daisymaewi5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™