Can metal roof from a barn be used on a house?

beckyinrichmondJune 6, 2009

I've had a message here on roof/attic ventilation and I appreciate all the replies. When I found out the cost for metal roofing, I gave up on that and guess I'll have to use asphalt shingles. However, I'm wondering about something. There is an unused old chicken house on the property (it's a farm) with lots of metal roofing just lying there. The walls have collapsed and the roof is lying on top. Can that roofing be used on the house? It ought to be enough material as the chicken house is bigger than the house. Or it is just not practical? The metal would have some age on it. There would be nail holes. But if the panels could be trimmed off where the nail holes are, and if they're in good condition, what do you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ron6519

Doubtful it could be used. The seams are folded over and these roofs are not likely to be dissembled and reused.
Ron

Bookmark   June 6, 2009 at 10:22AM
HandyMac

Most farm type buildings have metal roofs made with corrugated galvanized metal. Even with the galvanizing, those panels rust and deteriorate. It is not a good idea to install roofing that is almost guaranteed to leak on a house.

Bookmark   June 6, 2009 at 10:39AM
sombreuil_mongrel

There are a few issues to consider. Corrugated iron and rib-lock types of utility building metal are not capable of being adapted to a "detailed" roof, i.e.: a roof with valleys and dormers, without great difficulty/expertise of a very experienced mechanic. Previously-used corrugated roofing will be an expedient way to cover a roof in an emergency, but the problem will be the old nail holes and the fact that it should be installed over purlins (horizontal strapping on top of the rafters). That lumber expense alone may disqualify the choice. There is also going to be a condensation issue. You would need to lay rosin paper (not tarpaper) under the metal.
Good luck.
Casey

Bookmark   June 6, 2009 at 12:08PM
More Discussions
Hubby and I disagree on who to call for cracks
So we keep arguing for like 5 years now (husband and...
dahoov2
Help with rough, ugly laminate counter edges
Hello, we recently put in new laminate countertops...
Elizabeth Loparco
Should we raise/fix concrete slab in driveway or wait?
Just moving into a new house this month. So the inspector...
mattsk42
concrete over concrete?
I have filled the space under my front door threshold...
robinasq
Ice damming !! Desperate for advice 911!!!
WE have severe ice damming on the roof of our home...
coffeemama1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™