Choosing a paint color for Kitchen and open LR

vdinliJuly 21, 2014

We are in the midst of a kitchen/LR renovation and need to pick a paint color in the next few days. I could use your help in picking a BM paint color.

The cabinets are Cherry with a medium tone stain called Honey by the cabinet maker and we are trying to decide between Siena Bordeaux or White Springs granite. The other big elements in the LR are cream colored leather sofas. We are looking for new DR table and sideboard.

Here's the cabinet sample with the Siena Bordeaux granite.

Here's the White Springs

I was thinking of a light gray in the Stonington Gray/Revere Pewter line but they are not quite right. Revere is too peachy and Stonington too washed out. Unfortunately, the stone yard doesn't have samples for me to take to the paint store.

Any idea of other medium gray that I should try out-I am looking for grays with green undertones. Should I go darker or maybe look in the sage family of colors. Am I going in the right direction?

Thanks for any input.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tibbrix

I like the Siena Bordeaux. Can you say specifically what colors are in there? It's hard to tell from the photo. Looks like all browns and grays?

The second looks like it has some purple/red tones in it?

I wouldn't go with gray. snore. I'd pick a color that will add some depth, esp. in the kitchen area. Kitchens tend to be great places to get some bold color up because of the lack of wall area.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 9:28AM
may_flowers

Tibbrix..."snore"...you make me chuckle. I actually like gray but it seems it's become a requirement.

Vinu, when you say cream, do you mean it has a yellow undertone? I like gray with yellow in the same saturation--so a light gray without undertones might look nice. I like the White Springs because it has larger patches of cream and cleaner grays. The other feels muddier to me. Your house is small so I'd let the dining room furniture and cabinets be the dark tones.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 9:53AM
tibbrix

Any pics of the rooms?

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 10:01AM
vdinli

Sorry for absconding after posting yesterday. I had to get more detailed pictures that were on a different computer.

So here are so more details:

This is our LR from a few years back: We chose Nantucket Gray after this picture was taken. We took down a few walls so it is more open . After this current remodel we will keep the sofas/chair and maybe the display shelf. I haven't decided on the art-it is nothing fancy-so wouldn't mind changing it out if it doesn't work with the new wall color.

The new kitchen space-The only wall showing will be above and below the window.

Dining area(so tiny-can't call it a room!)

Close up of the granite:

Another shot from mid distance:

The paint will go all around the LR/DA/Foyer/Kitchen. The kitchen will have medium tone cherry cabinets. I am not sure on the hardwood floor color yet.

I was thinking of BM Baltic Gray or Ashley Gray. They are in the Gray/Brown family with Ashley Gray being substantially darker.

BM Baltic Gray

BM Ashley Gray

What do you guys think? Will it be too dark for the room? Should I stick to something lighter like BM Nimbus?

Thanks for reading this far and I will take any suggestions you have for me.

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 1:22AM
Annie Deighnaugh

I think with that granite, you can go more blue with your gray if you like...BM feather gray

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 12:35PM
More Discussions
Unique Craftsman trim & wainscotting Examples, Info, Opinions
I am looking for examples of unique craftsman and/or...
Corbin Dodge
Please help with paint/decorating dining room
Hello, I wanted to get some help painting and decorating...
Xclusive
Need Help Decorating My Bedroom
Hi there, I'm excited to be here! This is my very first...
jmdkc
What is a McMansion? Tell Us In 25 Words or Less
Everybody seems to have his or her own definition of...
kswl2
Lighting suggestions for extremely dark kitchen
My first post since site has moved, although I've been...
peacamp
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™