Buried Sprinkler Heads

smb2003June 27, 2010

Hello,

I wasn't sure where to post this since I didn't see a landscaping section..... I recently purchased a home. In the backyard there was a childrens play area that is covered in wood chips. I'd like to get rid of the wood chips and put in grass. The owner told me there are 2 sprinkler heads capped off in the area and I cannot find them!

Anyone know how I can go about locating the sprinklers? I was thinking a metal detector because I think there is a small piece of metal inside the sprinkler head but I have no clue where to get a metal detector. Anyone have any other ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maryland_irisman

Harbor Freight, Sears, Radio Shack come to mind.

Bookmark   June 27, 2010 at 12:03PM
snoonyb

If they are "capped off", chances are that the heads will have been removed and unless the system was piped in metal, a metal detector will be of little use, for this application.
You may find caps when the ground cover has been removed, or using a little logic may direct you to a probable location.

Bookmark   June 27, 2010 at 1:21PM
kudzu9

Do you want to make these heads functional or do you want to get rid of them?

Bookmark   June 27, 2010 at 3:44PM
smb2003

You are right!! They are capped off so there goes the metal detector idea.

I want the heads to be functional. I'm planning to rake out all the wood chips and seed it eventually. But I wanted to locate the sprinklers first.

Bookmark   June 29, 2010 at 1:13PM
sdello

the lines should be pretty close to the surface. Have you started removing the wood chips yet? If not, I suspect you might find the sprinkler lines when you do.

Bookmark   June 29, 2010 at 2:43PM
ron6519

These pipe runs are generally straight in an open area. If you can find the heads before and after the buried units, you should be able to at least get a line to search. The heads are generally placed so you get head to head coverage. Measure 1/3 the distance between the heads and carefully dig down. If this doesn't work, dig a trench from the head you see until you get to the plugged riser. Add a head and trench along to the next one.
Sometimes it's not easy.
Ron

Bookmark   June 30, 2010 at 4:14PM
More Discussions
Huge hole in floor joist? should i worry?
I had my crawlspace inspected yesterday because i was...
tlbean2004
Should we raise/fix concrete slab in driveway or wait?
Just moving into a new house this month. So the inspector...
mattsk42
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
foul intermittent smell somewhere?????
So here's our problem. We have lived in our house for...
curtzilla
Water Drip Stain on Roof Fascia?
My roof edge on the corners of the front porch is leaving...
pbx2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™