warped floor joists

bluebirdskyJune 30, 2006

Has anyone any experience with warped floor joists? We are thinking about replacing wall to wall carpet with hard wood or laminate flooring, but the floor rises up in the middle of the room. My husband has checked the problem carefully, and it seems that the builders installed two warped floor joists...this is not a case of the sub floor shrinking or of wet, sagging wood, as the sub floor is flush with the joists. Any suggestions on how to repair such a problem?

thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snoonyb

It sounds as if the problem is crowning instead of warping
and a reputable flooring installer will tell you of any
eventualities.

However, correcting to a reasonably flat surface will require cutting the joists and sistering, from underneath, from support to support.

Bookmark   June 30, 2006 at 4:38AM
nctom

I had a similar situation. My floor had a crown in it that centered close to a pier. The solution was jack the joist so that the weight was relieved off the pier. We then removed one row brick from the pier and placed a treated piece of wood on the top of the pier. The thickness of the wood will depend on the severity of the crown. The floor joist was then lowered and with time eventually rested on pier.

Tim

Bookmark   July 6, 2006 at 1:37AM
cliff1

i have a crown about 5 feet long on a 14 foot joist.The problem is the basement is finished. It has a wall running right next to it parallel another wall across under it and the main heating and cold air ducts running across under the joist thats crowned. Would there be any other way to repair the joist without taking the wall and air ducts down

Bookmark   February 11, 2009 at 11:06AM
More Discussions
Fixing Spanish Plaster and plaster interior walls (1933 house)
We live in a 1933 Lannon stone home (Lannon stone is...
rachelep
Ice damming !! Desperate for advice 911!!!
WE have severe ice damming on the roof of our home...
coffeemama1
Help with rough, ugly laminate counter edges
Hello, we recently put in new laminate countertops...
Elizabeth Loparco
Garage door wont open, no other way into garage
Hi all, I've a unique problem here. I had a problem...
wheelie
damp/ruined dry wall in window corners
I need help with a plan or how to for fixing and repairing...
betty_joanne
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™