stucco-like wood paneling

aspen0December 11, 2008

I want to put an english style pub in my basement. I'm going to go with a beam and stucco look for the walls. You know what I mean? Tudor.

Anyways, the exterior of our house is the same style, with stucco hardboard panels.

Now, I could drywall the basement after framing, and then put a texture on the drywall, but I figure, why not just buy a panel and I'm good to go. My nail gun skills are far more developed than my drywalling fancy texture skills.

so, my question is, has anyone ever seen wood paneling (talking big 4x8 sheets) with a stucco texture for interior use?

I ask because I know I can probably just buy exterior panels and install them on the interior, but figured a panel made for interior use only would be cheaper.


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I doubt that applying wood trim over a pre-textured panel will look like anything other that what it is: a poor simulation of half timbering. To be visually effective the plaster finish must contact the wood so it looks like an infill between posts/beams.

I believe the interior finish you are trying to simulate is more likely to be a smooth plaster.

    Bookmark   December 12, 2008 at 11:27AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks, but this is my basement, that people can tell my cinderblock basement is not really beam and stucco isn't such a big deal. I just want something easy to put up that creates little mess during install because the basement has to remain functionally usable during the entire install.

I may just use flat interior wood paneling instead of the thicker (and variable thickness) exterior hardboard siding. It's cheap, easy, looks good enough for what I want.

    Bookmark   December 15, 2008 at 9:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You might consider 3/8" t-1-11 plywood with no grooves. Its an exterior grade plywood but you could do some creative trim work in the feild and the perimeters to give a rustic look to go with the beam work. The ply has a rough sawn facing that looks good with various finishes such as solid or transperent stains, wood species stains, painted, or even finished as is.

    Bookmark   December 16, 2008 at 10:18AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I wouldn't use these to side my house, but for your architectural indoor look:

Most are 4x8 or 4x10 sheets. I'd screw them to the studs like drywall and put some construction adhesive on too. Then just mix a small batch of stucco mortar to cover the screw heads. Where the beams meet, use a grout bag to fill the gap to the beam and smooth with a trowel. Similar to caulking trim. Then paint the whole panel.

    Bookmark   December 23, 2008 at 8:08AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Have exterior wall open-questions about improving insulation
I have a 1980s era house, so not the greatest in terms...
Small bath remodel - problem tub size
I could use some advice. We decided it is high time...
need help designing shed dormers
we bought an 1864 post and beam house and want to add...
I want to use LVT for the wall...
I want to use LVT to replace the worn wallpaper for...
What decisions, materials, can cut costs when remodeling?
If you really have a budget to work within, how do...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Sponsored Products
Carlton Carbon Oak Saddle Stained Wood Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Hampton Bay Outdoor Lanterns. Oxford Collection Wall-Mount Outdoor Black 9-1/2 i
$99.97 | Home Depot
Bath Authority DreamLine Visions Frameless Sliding Shower Door and SlimLine Sing
Modern Bathroom
Purcell Living | Bias Medium Ottoman
Furniture of America Lancaster Full-size Bed/ Underbed Drawers/ Night Stand Set
Elizabeth 4 Piece Queen Bedroom Set in Cappuccino
$1,000.00 | LexMod
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™