Cold Floors

nwroseladyJune 17, 2010

I live in Olympia, WA (zone 8), so our winters rarely get below 20 deg F. My house was built in 1980. It is two stories with a crawl space underneath. About three years ago I had the original ratty old carpeting removed and replaced with laminate wood flooring. Now the first story floors are quite cold, especially in the winter. I had someone come out to assess the crawl space, thinking I needed more insulation under the floor. The contractor thought the insulation was adequate and to code. (Imagine the honesty of the man, he could easily have charged me a bundle to rip out what I had and replace it!)

I don't want to cover my new flooring with new carpet, but I want warmer feet. I watch Mike Holmes' show on HGTV, and he often uses a combination of spray insulation plus batting when insulating between the garage ceiling and the second floor. He's in Toronto where it gets a lot colder than it does here. Anyone got any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macv

Is the crawl space ventilated? What insulation is there now? What is the heating system?

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 8:49AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jamesbodell

With lack of more info:

1. remove the insulation in the crawlspace, insulate the perimeter walls and band joists, vapor barrier on floor to create a "conditioned" crawlspace, and heat it.

2. pull up floors and install hydro radiant heat
3. pull up floor and isntall elelctric radiant
3. pull crawlspace insulation, install staple up radiant heat and reinsulate.

All will cost you, but 1 is best bet.

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 1:06PM
More Discussions
Would patio foundation cracks affect the house foundation?
Hi i have a question and i hope that you can answer...
john2525
2x8 Joists are 1.75x7.75 and 2x6 Joists are 1.75x5.75? why is this?
I know that lumber is smaller than actually stated...
tlbean2004
Craftsman Garage Door opener won't close
Hello, Wife came home today and was able to open garage...
mattb32
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
concrete over concrete?
I have filled the space under my front door threshold...
robinasq
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™