Did I make a mistake getting 1/2' drywall for patch?

brendainnjJune 24, 2010

I've never done this before, but I got tired of waiting for DH to fix a wall in LR wall that had been previously "patched" in 1976! (we just inherited the house 2 yrs ago). So I watched a couple drywall videos on youtube & cut out my hole stud to stud. The piece I took out measured 1/2" (I was so positive) but when I measured the existing wallboard around the hole, it's definitely 5/8". Unfortunately, I had already purchased the 1/2" sheet. I thought it would be better to be a little recessed rather than bulging out, figured I could cover it with mud. BUT, my DH says the extra 1/8" will be too thick to cover w/mud and I should go back & get the 5/8" sheet instead. I should mention that the finished result will not be painted; instead it's kind of a faux finish wallpaper so it doesn't have to be perfectly seamless. So how difficult will this be, and would it make a difference if we were painting? This same sheet will be used for other repairs around windows which will need more careful finishing.

Thanks everyone; I LOVE this board!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macv

Use shims on the studs, or keep applying coats of drywall compound (it shrinks a lot so it take a lot of coats), or use Durabond 90, etc.

Bookmark   June 24, 2010 at 8:53AM
brickeyee

Just cover it with mud.

It will only take a couple extra coats, less if you use a setting compound with minimum water to limit shrinkage.

Easysand works well, and is more forgiving than Durabond.

Durabond is VERY hard to sand.

Bookmark   June 24, 2010 at 9:32AM
kudzu9

I've used 1/2" sheetrock in a 5/8" wall in a pinch and it's worked out just fine. Just make sure you cover the edges of the patch with drywall tape....

Bookmark   June 24, 2010 at 2:23PM
dkenny

no..it'll just take more work to get it right..
personally I like using the 20minute power sheetrock mud for small repairs..

it might take 6 coats instead of 3 to get it right..but so..once its smooth..no one will know

-dkenny

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 5:39PM
brickeyee

A single layer of Easysand mixed about as thick as peanut butter (smooth if you please) will fill in the difference without any discoverable shrinkage.

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 9:01PM
More Discussions
Siding advice for chimney
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice. Yesterday...
andreadeg
Leaning picket fence
I recently purchased my house and for whatever reason,...
media529
Water Drip Stain on Roof Fascia?
My roof edge on the corners of the front porch is leaving...
pbx2
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
blakekr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™