Choosing NOT to dilute pesticide concentrate

alisonnMay 29, 2014

Husband goes to the store to buy a carpenter ant killer (basically, we are having an open house on Sunday and cannot get an exterminator here before then). So, the label says: Dilute 2 Tbsp in one gallon of water. My husband looks at me and says "I bet this would work better if I just used it without diluting it." I was quite freaked out--I'm big at following directions--and I told him that there was probably a REALLY good reason to use the product (beta cyfluthrin). I convinced him in the moment, but I know that he might use it full strength in the future, if I am not around to stop him. Am I over-reactng or is he being very irresponsible?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alisonn

I meant to say "use this product as directed on the label."

Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 11:40PM
klem1

"Am I over-reactng or is he being very irresponsible?"
Probably both but I doubt he wants to hear my opinion if he doesn't take the manufacture's opinion serious. Name something good or benificial that humans don't abuse.
Pain killers,food,sunshine,sex,wealth,motorized transportation,knowledge,trust,health,,,,,,,,,??????

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 12:45AM
saltidawg

Wondering about how the words sex and pesticide ended up in the same thread, I did a search on this forum to see how many times a string contained the BOTH of the words "sex" and "pesticide"

Amazingly, there are two others beside this one....

One of them is absolutely hysterical!

EDIT: No matches for search on SEX PESTICIDE and MARTINI - However, SEX and MARTINI taken together alone yielded a lot of threads. lol

Here is a link that might be useful: Hysterical Thread Containing Words

This post was edited by saltidawg on Fri, May 30, 14 at 12:51

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 9:47AM
kudzu9

I think he is being irresponsible, and it will not necessarily work better in concentrated form. Although this is a naturally occurring chemical that is not as toxic as previous man-made substances for such purposes, it is still toxic and in concentrated form it can hurt a lot of critters (fish, bee colonies, pets, etc.) Casual handling of it can also make it far easier for your husband to have a toxic reaction if he is applying it in concentrated form.

If he enjoyed having a martini, would he conclude that drinking five gallons of them at one sitting would be even better?

This post was edited by kudzu9 on Fri, May 30, 14 at 14:48

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 12:31PM
ci_lantro

re the martinis....he would prolly retort that martinis are an excellent example of non-diluted poison.... :-)

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 12:42PM
bus_driver

Use of pesticides different from labeling instructions may be a violation of law. .

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 7:53AM
GreenDesigns

Pay up his life insurance and maybe get another policy. I'd bet that that's symptomatic of his behavior in other aspects of his life as well. Tell him that you plan on enjoying your life as a rich widow and see if that makes him think. Probably won't. Know-it-all risktaker's behaviors are usually imprinted young.

Bookmark   June 1, 2014 at 9:39AM
eaga

This thread is hysterical. I especially like that he wants to do this the week before people are coming to an open house. Have you checked your homeowner's insurance to see if poisoning invitees is covered?

You might tell your husband that if using more were better, the manufacturer would probably tell you that because they would get more money that way. If you're really worried about next time, see if the pesticide is available in a ready-to-use (RTU) formulation, which is already diluted. Of course, it is going to be more expensive per use.

Bookmark   June 2, 2014 at 1:05PM
More Discussions
2x8 Joists are 1.75x7.75 and 2x6 Joists are 1.75x5.75? why is this?
I know that lumber is smaller than actually stated...
tlbean2004
Ice damming !! Desperate for advice 911!!!
WE have severe ice damming on the roof of our home...
coffeemama1
Garage door wont open, no other way into garage
Hi all, I've a unique problem here. I had a problem...
wheelie
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
Drywall issues?
I have noticed a spot above a window that has been...
deandiamond
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™