JPEG Photo Scan File Sizes?

toecutterNovember 11, 2007

Hello everybody,

I've recently purchased a Canon LIDE 600F scanner, and have been experimenting with scanning standard 6x4 inch photos.

I'm using it's "Multi Scan" and auto-crop feature, which is great in that you can place 4 photos at a time on the machine, and the software recognises, crops, separates the files automatically and assigns unique filenames.

I have chosen the maximum 600dpi resolution (these are precious archives) and am saving as JPEG (normal compression).

My query is that the files (each photo) are all less than 1mb in size, and I think this surely cannot be correct. The average size is actually about 650KB.

Can anyone tell me if this seems correct? I have googled extensively on this, and while there's differing information all over the place, I believe the file sizes should be about the 5-7MB range.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I have four days now in which I can return the unit if something is askew with it.

Regards, Matt.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
klaa2

Matt, don't save them with JPEG compression. JPEG (jpg) is a lossy compression scheme which throws out information in order to shrink file size.

Any editing or archiving of photo's should be in either Bitmap (BMP) or Tiff format. If you use Photoshop, PSD. These are lossless.

Bookmark   November 22, 2007 at 9:09AM
More Discussions
Hi-res capable scanner
Newbie...apologize if this cross-post from computer...
Gwarstong
Questions about Epson PictureMate Photo Lab
I have an Epson PictureMate Personal Photo Lab for...
catherinet
Scanner Recommendation
I've been trying to decide which flatbed scanner to...
krikit
color matching
Hi. This is a color question. I am in the market for...
daisymaewi5
Collage made up of thought bubbles
I saw this collage on the net and I'd like to do it...
seaswirl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™