Proper way to install roof flashing

jamesbodellMay 25, 2006

I think I know the answer, but want to be sure before I talk to the contractor. I am repointing my chimney and redoing the flashing. The step flashing is lead sheet. The contractor has mortored the top of the flashing into the chimney, OK so far. But the step flashing is not tucked under the shingles at each course, he just laid is flat over the top of the shingles.

As far as I knew, the proper way to install flashing is to lay it under each course as you go up the roof slope. They are still here and working, and I have not paid them yet, so I still have "the power". Is this really a way to install flashing? Its a 500.00 line item on my contract.

I also think he just placed it over the old flashing, which was installed under each course of the shingles.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikie_gw

Might look at certainteed installation instructions. There's several ways to flash a chimney.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.certainteed.com/.../SAMv7_ch6_Flashing_etc.pdf

Bookmark   May 26, 2006 at 10:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sdello

The flashing goes under from under the shingles up the side of the chimney, the lead COUNTER-flashing gets inserted into a cut in a mortar joint and then folds down over the flashing. The counter flashing prevents water from getting in behind the top edge of the flashing, otherwise you are at the mercy of a bead of caulking or sealant to stop water flowing down the face of the chimney from getting behind the flashing.

HTH

Bookmark   May 26, 2006 at 1:27PM
More Discussions
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
Would patio foundation cracks affect the house foundation?
Hi i have a question and i hope that you can answer...
john2525
Ice damming !! Desperate for advice 911!!!
WE have severe ice damming on the roof of our home...
coffeemama1
Curtain Rods
Hi, I am not sure where to post this so my apologies...
newquilter
Drywall issues?
I have noticed a spot above a window that has been...
deandiamond
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™