Dot to Dot Art

sapphiresNovember 2, 2005

Hello Everyone,

Okay, this is what I'd like to do. I would like to make a dot to dot diagram of a picture of someone or something. Then I could have my grandchild draw from dot to dot (following the number seqence) with the final picture revealed when it's done. Does anyone know how I could this? Is there a generator out in internet land that one could use to do this? I've done the crossword puzzles, hidden word puzzles and mazes for them to do, then I put their finished project in their scrapbooks, they love it.

Thought this would be cute for them. Any help, links and/or suggestions appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Sapphires

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yborgal

You didn't say how old your grandchildren are but these sites might be what you're looking for.

http://coloringpages.net/holidays.html

http://www.billybear4kids.com/animal/scoop.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: games

Bookmark   November 2, 2005 at 8:44PM
sapphires

MonaBlair,
I have two grandchildren, one is four the other is eight. I bookmarked the great links you provided for future use. However, I want to create my own dot to dot game using a picture of a family member or pet. I was hoping there was some kind of dot to dot game generator to do this. I don't even know if such a thing exists on the web, but hoping just the same. Thank you.

Sapphires

Bookmark   November 2, 2005 at 10:25PM
yborgal

There is a way for you to do it using the "Paint" program in Accessories. But it will take time and patience on your part.

Import the photo you want to use. Click on the "A" tool that signifies a Text Box. Then you'll see you're given 2 choices for inserting text (found at the lower section of options). Choose the bottom one and you can place a number where you want to follow the outline of the picture. The top choice will leave you with an opaque box as well as the number. I don't think you want that.
After you have the numbers outlining this photo, select the eraser tool and patiently erase the photo, leaving only the numbers. Print the finished product and you should have a connect-the-dots personalized project. Email me if you have questions.

Bookmark   November 3, 2005 at 9:03AM
sapphires

MonaBlair,
I followed your instructions for the most part. The problem I see is that it is hard to see the numbers on the picture. That's as far as I got as it was frustrating me. Any clue on how to see them better, especially if the subject on the picture is dark? I appreciate your help. Sure wish there was some kind of generator on line for this to make easier. Thank you.

Sapphires

Bookmark   November 3, 2005 at 9:27PM
jacksmum

Sapphires could you put the numbers on a second layer?
Then you could lower the opacity of the picture layer and your numbers would stand out.
Then just delete the picture layer when your dots are in order.
Sue :)

Bookmark   November 3, 2005 at 10:45PM
sapphires

Sue,
I have no idea what I'm doing, lol! I always come up with ideas I'd like to do for my grandchildrens scrapbooks that are unique but half the time I am unable to do them. I have PSP7 but honestly I don't know my way around it. Thanks for your reply and help.

Sapphires

Bookmark   November 3, 2005 at 10:59PM
jacksmum

LOL Ok I have no idea what i'm doing either but I had a go in PSP7 and it worked - lol not very well as I was too impatient to get the numbers in the right places but well enough to show you how it would work and write it out step by step.

So hoping this makes sense. Give it a whirl
Sue.

DOT TO DOT Tutorial

Open the picture you want to use - CONTROL + D to make a copy then close the original.

Go to the layer palette and duplicate background.
Make sure your background color palette is set to white and hit the delete key on your keyboard. This will replace the photo with a white background. (See Screen Shot)

Add a new layer
Now on the middle layer (the photo)lower the opacity to about 35 so it fades. (See Screen Shot)

Now on thetop layer (the new one you made) use your text tool to add the numbers. (See Screen Shot)

Once all your dots are done you can delete the photo layer.
Merge all the remaining layer and save. (see screen shot)

It would take time and patience to get the dots in the right spots but hopefully now you know how to do it if you want to.

HUGS

Bookmark   November 4, 2005 at 12:46AM
urlee

Sue,
That is a BEAUTIFULLY done example for Sapphires to follow.
But please note, it is Shift+D, not Control+D to dupe the original. I know it was an easy error of "speech" but thought I'd mention it.

I want to add that she was following instructions from MonaBlair in Paint, when she came upon that problem but maybe this would help her to do one.

Thank you Mona for something interesting for me to try as Paint is my "second" home.

~Urlee~

Bookmark   November 4, 2005 at 5:52AM
urlee

OK,
I just came back from doing what MonaBlaire suggested in Paint, and I think you DO want the "TOP" option which includes the white box around the numbers because then it is easier to erase the picture where you don't have part of the picture behind the numbers to have to erase after?
Check it out. Sounds like an easy way of doing it.

Sapphires, At the bottom, you can change the color of the numbers to white but if you do what I just explained here, leave them black or a dark color of your choice as they would be in a white square.

Sorry Sue if I steered her away but your little tute is a precious one to save for her to learn in PSP.

~Urlee~

Bookmark   November 4, 2005 at 6:11AM
urlee

Whoooops,
Forgot to add-----When it comes time to save your finished job-----Be sure to SAVE AS a DIFFERENT NAME so you will still have the original too!
Or like the picture you are working on is named Mary, when you save the one with numbers, you can name it Mary2.

~Urlee~

Bookmark   November 4, 2005 at 6:21AM
yborgal

You can change the color of the numbers to a contrasting color by selecting from the color boxes down at the bottom. I like to use a bright red for darker photos.

Bookmark   November 4, 2005 at 7:10AM
Joy_CA

Sapphires, I have a filter that might work for you.

The fifth one down from the top under "The New Stuff" is called 'Outliner4'. It has several filters, one is called Coloring Book. The less detail in the photo the better it works.

Click "Download" (bottom of page), that will take you to another page, download "The New Stuff." It will show in your plugin list as, DCspecial.

DC Special

Joy

Bookmark   November 4, 2005 at 8:55AM
yborgal

Urlee, you're right. If the eraser is leaving a white page, then starting off with an white opaque box and dark number is the easier way to go. I was thinking of another project and lost my train of thought.

Bookmark   November 4, 2005 at 12:00PM
sapphires

Hello Everyone,
OMG Thank you all so very much for all the time you put into my request and for the collaboration of help you have all given me. I have printed out every post here and will try my hand at this after company leaves at the end of next week We got unexpected company due to a friends death. I will try it in PSP and in Paint. Of course it will take me alot longer than it did you well experienced artists. It frustrates me at times that I may have a unique idea but not the skill to execute it. I will give it a try. Thank you, you are a great group of kind talented people.

Sapphires

Bookmark   November 4, 2005 at 12:14PM
urlee

Glad to be of help.

~Urlee~

Bookmark   November 4, 2005 at 12:22PM
jacksmum

Thanks Urlee. Yep the Control+D was a typo - my mind meant SHIFT but my fingers have a mind of their own.

MonaBlair I owe you an apology. I didn't read your post properly and when Sapphires got stuck because the picture was too bright I wrongly thought she was working with PSP and jumped in with a tut.

HUGS

Bookmark   November 4, 2005 at 7:48PM
yborgal

No apology needed. But I'm confused..I use Control+C to Copy and Control+V to Paste. Are these other short cuts ya'll are talking about just for PSP?

Bookmark   November 4, 2005 at 8:02PM
urlee

I think so Mona,
I only use it in PSP. (the shift D)
If you have a graphic open in another program, try it.

~Urlee~

Bookmark   November 4, 2005 at 8:07PM
yborgal

If I'm in PrintShop and want to have a variety of dupicate styles to choose from (single, tiled, etc.) then I have to use Contol+D. Shift+D does nothing.

Bookmark   November 5, 2005 at 10:11AM
urlee

Good to know.
Thanks for the input.
~Urlee~

Bookmark   November 5, 2005 at 11:03AM
pelican712_gmail_com

www.picturedots.com
sounds like this is what you're looking for. :)

Bookmark   October 30, 2007 at 12:32AM
More Discussions
Collage made up of thought bubbles
I saw this collage on the net and I'd like to do it...
seaswirl
Genus and species
Can anyone name the genus/species of this Iris? I had...
KTSchooley
Making copies of a DVD
Recently I had a DVD made from an old 8mm film of home...
davestexas
Reduc500 Judy is very ill
Hi Everyone, I am trying to contact all those who might...
thirdfrt
Scanner Recommendation
I've been trying to decide which flatbed scanner to...
krikit
Sponsored Products
Barstool Slope Chair in Cream
$174.99 | Dot & Bo
Pre-owned Roger Capron Tile Wall Hangings - Set of 6
Chairish
Frisky Friends Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Kid Essentials - Infants &
$255.95 | Bellacor
One Night Stand Sleeper Sofa by Blu Dot
$1,999.00 | Lumens
Branch Out Pillow Cover in Olive
$57.99 | Dot & Bo
Paddington Deux Lounge Set in Black
$899.99 | Dot & Bo
Antler Jewelry Dish
$49.99 | Dot & Bo
Way of Life Sign
$24.99 | Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for: