hanging a curtain rod

musicteacherMay 7, 2014

So after scraping popcorn off the ceiling and tearing up the wall board removing wall paper, and finally getting everything mudded and painted, I got stumped with a silly curtain rod. This extra long rod came with plastic wall anchors (that look like they will wing out behind the wall) and some very fine threaded screws that have no threads at all on the last 1/2 inch near the head. The anchors have a blunt end meaning I need to drill a pretty substantial hole for them to go in. Is this the best way to go or should I buy a different kind of anchor?
Now the top screws in each bracket will go into studs so I won't use the anchors, but are these screws going to work or do I need to find some more substantial screws with threads all the way up? The curtain rod is over 100 inches so I need it to be sturdy.
Thank you for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

Drywall is 1/2" thick---the screw threads only need to engage the anchors.

If the top screws are screwed into wood, the bottom screws are just bracing.

Bookmark   May 7, 2014 at 9:41PM
geoffrey_b

The screws that go into the stud -shoud be 'pan head' sheet metal screws - they have a sharp point, and wide threads. The sheet rock is 1/2" thick - so you should have an 1 1/2" pan head screw.

For the lower screw use a plastic screw anchor - the kind that you drill a 1/4" or 5/16" hole. Forget about the expanding anchors that take a 1/2" hole.

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 10:21AM
kudzu9

I have used many types of anchors over the years, and have totally given up on using the common plastic anchors...they're crap. Now the situation you describe is good, with the top screws going into studs, but I don't know what the weight of your installation is (rod + fabric), or whether the drapes will be opened and closed. Just to be on the safe side, I suggest you use screw anchors. They come in nylon or steel; this type of anchor in nylon is enough for your situation. They are easy to install (self-drilling), their pull-out strength is much greater than the cheapo anchors provided with your rod, and you shouldn't have to worry about them loosening up over time. They are available at any decent hardware store. Below is an example.

Here is a link that might be useful: Drywall screw anchor

Bookmark   May 9, 2014 at 4:32AM
More Discussions
foul intermittent smell somewhere?????
So here's our problem. We have lived in our house for...
curtzilla
Drywall issues?
I have noticed a spot above a window that has been...
deandiamond
Would patio foundation cracks affect the house foundation?
Hi i have a question and i hope that you can answer...
john2525
Leaning picket fence
I recently purchased my house and for whatever reason,...
media529
Old kitchen drywall
Finally are giving our kitchen a facelift. We have...
katlan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™