Granite Seams & Finish: light/dark - shiny, satin, antiqued or ??

remodel1958April 1, 2008

We're stuck on the type of finish for our countertop - I prefer a matte look and love (love love ;-) soapstone but it is not in the budget. What do you think of satin or antiqued finish granite?

Is there any difference (positive or negative) between shiny and matte when it comes to resisting stains, water rings and showing fingerprints, etc?

One fabricator told us that a lighter color will show a seam less than a darker color.... but I've been told the opposite also

So basically, I'm at a standstill.. What's been your experience?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jayav

My slab is typhoon bordeaux in a satin finish...here is a picture of my island after installation.

I love the matte look of the satin finish. It feels so fantastic to touch as well. I have not had any issues with water resistance, rings or fingerprints...to be fair, I am not yet using the kitchen fully.

Bookmark   April 2, 2008 at 1:51AM
nanapeg

jayav...
LOVE your island! How dramatically did putting the satin finish on your slab impact the colors and movement? I have a beautiful slab of Red Montana that I would love to have finished this way (to better blend with my soapstone countertops) but I'm fearful of losing some of the color and movement of the stone in doing so. Any advice is appreciated.
THANKS...

Bookmark   April 2, 2008 at 6:33AM
jayav

Hey nanapeg, The slab was already finished in satin when I saw it so I do not know if putting the finish impacted the color. I must say that I did see several slabs of regular polished typhoon bordeaux but the satin was so gorgeous that it was no competition at all.

Bookmark   April 2, 2008 at 10:07AM
jayav

Hey nanapeg, The slab was already finished in satin when I saw it so I do not know if putting the finish impacted the color. I must say that I did see several slabs of regular polished typhoon bordeaux but the satin was so gorgeous that it was no competition at all.

Bookmark   April 2, 2008 at 11:44AM
remodel1958

That's really lovely granite, jayav. I think the slightly muted color accentuates the movement of the stone. Do you have this on your countertops as well? Still wondering about the seams. We're doing cream cabinets with a pewter glaze and I like the look of a dark counter with them. Something like Cambrian Black or UbaTuba in an antique finish - I'm still curious about seams and whether the antique/satin/brushed type finishes hide or show them.

Bookmark   April 2, 2008 at 11:19PM
jayav

Yeah...I have this granite along the sides as well. Cambrian Black Antique is gorgeous...several people on this site have them. Hopefully they will respond about the seams.

Bookmark   April 3, 2008 at 10:04AM
More Discussions
CBP fusion pro grout (what is the correct color to use here?)
Hi, I ordered light quartzite tiles in 8'' x 24'' ...
ezpond
Factory sealed marble tile??
I went to a reputable(?) tile store over the weekend...
amspinn
Sink Window - counter depth or slightly raised?
(I'm trying to limit my queries to 1/day - you have...
Carrie B
Barker cabinets?
So who has Barker cabinets and would be willing to...
tigger9759
Advice on first draft of kitchen layout
One change already is I may go with a cooktop, micro/convection...
happyallison
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™