Asphalt shingle recommendations?

EAM44May 14, 2014

I would rather be using metal but the estimate came in at more than twice the estimate for asphalt and I don't have the money. So asphalt it will be.

That said, I'm told they don't make asphalt shingles like they used to. The actual composition has changed over time and the warranties are useless. So, is there an asphalt shingle that is higher quality than others? My roof guy want to use IKO Cambridge IR Architectural shingles.

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: IKO

This post was edited by EAM44 on Wed, May 14, 14 at 20:19

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roof35

In my hay day, I installed nearly every manufacturer out there. Your perception of today's shingles is like a catch 22. One would need a crystal ball to see if they hold up 30-40 yrs from now. But, I can tell you of an experience with my first hand knowledge of IKO from 25 or so years ago.

The owner was selling the home, and looking for a typical 20 yr, 3 tab shingle. I installed an IKO, 3 tab, which was my first ever experience with a metric shingle. I pass the home nearly every day, and the roof still looks good from the street. By this I mean, the color still stands out, and I see no buckling on the front side of the roof. Now this isn't a claim it's not in need of a new roof, after all, it was a 20 year shingle. This is in the Midwest where we have extreme weather and temperature changes.

Manufacturer warranties are pro-rated, and most require you use their accessories and/or by an installer certified by the same.

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 5:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
EAM44

Well that's good to know Roof. I'm n the Midwest as well. I haven asked my guy if he is a certified installer, but it's good to know the shingle he wants to use is made by a good company. Thanks

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 10:21PM
More Discussions
Ice damming !! Desperate for advice 911!!!
WE have severe ice damming on the roof of our home...
coffeemama1
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
blakekr
Leaning picket fence
I recently purchased my house and for whatever reason,...
media529
Help with rough, ugly laminate counter edges
Hello, we recently put in new laminate countertops...
Elizabeth Loparco
Painting exterior of house with cedar siding---what to expect
I am about to start getting estimates on having the...
sierrashopper
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™