Asphalt question

frankssMay 17, 2010

My driveway is being redone. I noticed once they removed the old asphalt that the area at the bottom of the driveway would bounce when walked over it (soft spots). Approx 6 feet from the bottom and runs the entire width of the driveway. Is this ok? The contractor told me that it was ok. That he noticed the soft spots and added more crushed stone to that area. Please let me know if this is ok. They will be coming back in 3 weeks to lay the new asphalt.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macv

Dig it out and see what the problem is. Could it be a bad drain pipe?

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 8:01AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
metaxa

The last home we replaced the driveway on had to be done from scratch. When we removed the concrete there was no road base at all, poured over organic soil.

As the excavator was digging the duff out, going down to undisturbed soil, we "found" the builder's garbage pit at the foot of the drive.

He had done three homes in a row back in the 70's and used this one pit. By the time we had it down to undisturbed it took two full sized double axle dump trucks of pit run just to get to a point we could spread the road base.

No wonder the old driveway had cracked and heaved over that area.

$2,000 into that driveway before we topped it but you could land a 747 on it if it was longer.

Bookmark   May 19, 2010 at 3:58AM
More Discussions
Old kitchen drywall
Finally are giving our kitchen a facelift. We have...
katlan
Fixing Spanish Plaster and plaster interior walls (1933 house)
We live in a 1933 Lannon stone home (Lannon stone is...
rachelep
Asbestos in Popcorn Ceiling/ worried sick
Hi. My house was built in the late 60s and I recently...
mogley966
Garage door wont open, no other way into garage
Hi all, I've a unique problem here. I had a problem...
wheelie
Insulating an inaccessible crawl space?
My 1940s bungalow style house sits on a crawl space...
blessedbe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™